Main Menu

Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled

Started by PLY474, May 29, 2020, 08:58:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Luckily, my model #s on mine are different!

Thanks for posting.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Mopar5

Wonder how they found out? Hope no one was hurt. Call me paranoid but I always have some redundancy when Im under the car ,Like 2 sets of stands or blocking or just having the floor jack left in place just in case.

Burdar

I've got some that are over 20 years old that look identical.(not from Harbor Freight)  They are rated at 3 ton.  I bought a couple more about 5 years ago from Sears.  They look identical as well but are rated at 4 ton.  :thinking:  I'm always nervous about being under a car with jack stands.  Stay safe everyone.

soundcontrol

Don't like that type, I want a big pin thru the top part.
Mine are rated 5 tons, big and sturdy.

Daveh

At least Harbor Freight is owning up to it.  Gotta respect that. 

GoodysGotaCuda

I have four of their 6ton stands and a pair of 12ton, never had a problem in ~10 years.

The 12t are sure nice for getting a lot of stable room under the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

gzig5

I had a pair of the 6 ton that were on the list.  Got them two years ago so they actually may have been affected by the worn out tooling, but I never had a problem.  Got my $40 back and used it and a 20% off coupon to get the $135 2000lb engine stand for ~$75.  Now that I have a lift, the two sets of three ton stands I had should suffice.

I can tell you from experience that someone at HF corporate is really hating life, managing this recall.   :pullinghair:

Checked mine , none from HF.
But only the newest set has a pin that also catches the notch.

7212Mopar

I got the HF 3 tons model 69597 that is not on the list. The claw type is not my favorite. I still have a set bought around 1980 that use a pin insert to set height. Only rated for 1/2 ton so cars only.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

kawahonda

I also prefer the pin type....BUT...

It doesn't matter if you are using redundancy.....

I won't go under a car unless it has (a) non-recalled jack stands (lol) and (b) a floor jack with some pressure.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

cudamadd

Thank you for posting this very interesting

soundcontrol

Quote from: kawahonda on May 30, 2020, 08:53:54 PM
I won't go under a car unless it has (a) non-recalled jack stands (lol) and (b) a floor jack with some pressure.

Thats what I do also, on top of that, if I take the wheels off, I slide them under the car in a good place.

Joegrapes

I had them and turned them in. I hardly used them anyway. I always have 6x6, 4x4 and 2x4 blocks handy and use them as an extra safety measure since the wood can't collapse.

nsmall

Well, I have these stands and will return them.  Thanks for sharing.