Main Menu

Heavy Duty Stapler For Quarter Window Sweeps

Started by 71vert340, October 21, 2020, 07:36:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I posted this on a Charger web site but didn't get too many ideas yet, so I thought I'd see if any of you had any experience here. It's on my 74 Charger rear quarter window inside sweeps. They are attached to the plastic pillar panel with heavy duty staples to clear the flange on the pillar. I'll include photos. Because of the tight fit, I don't think I can use  screws or pop rivets to attach the new pieces and get around the pillar flange. I found this tool on McMaster-Carr that is a heavy duty Inward clinch stapler and uses the same size staple as the originals Mopar used.
  See : https://www.mcmaster.com/staplers/heavy-duty-inward-clinch-manual-staplers/  .
Has anyone used this type of stapler and will it go through the new sweeps and the plastic pillar panel without shattering it. Ideas? See photos to see what I'm talking about. I do have a broken panel to try stapler/staples on.Thank you.
Terry

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Burdar

Can you just use an adhesive?  Maybe vinyl top glue?

anlauto

Can you just staple them manually ? drill some small properly spaced holes, push the staple through and bend them over ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

Quote from: anlauto on October 23, 2020, 06:35:41 AM
Can you just staple them manually ? drill some small properly spaced holes, push the staple through and bend them over ?

That was what I was thinking would be the easiest way without an actual stapler.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

71vert340

Quote from: anlauto on October 23, 2020, 06:35:41 AM

That is what another Charger owner told as the way he did it. I wouldn't mind buying the stapler and the 5000 staples if I knew it would work. The original staples were difficult to remove as they were a heavy duty staple. I'll need to think about this. Thanks.
Terry

Brads70

Quote from: 71vert340 on October 21, 2020, 07:36:27 PM
I posted this on a Charger web site but didn't get too many ideas yet, so I thought I'd see if any of you had any experience here. It's on my 74 Charger rear quarter window inside sweeps. They are attached to the plastic pillar panel with heavy duty staples to clear the flange on the pillar. I'll include photos. Because of the tight fit, I don't think I can use  screws or pop rivets to attach the new pieces and get around the pillar flange. I found this tool on McMaster-Carr that is a heavy duty Inward clinch stapler and uses the same size staple as the originals Mopar used.
  See : https://www.mcmaster.com/staplers/heavy-duty-inward-clinch-manual-staplers/  .
Has anyone used this type of stapler and will it go through the new sweeps and the plastic pillar panel without shattering it. Ideas? See photos to see what I'm talking about. I do have a broken panel to try stapler/staples on.Thank you.
Terry

If that stapler/staples works it's cheap enough to buy?  :notsure:     I've spent a lot more on
"R&D parts" that I ended up not using.... or tools I've only uses once then shared amongst the "community"  :alan2cents: