Main Menu

Makeshift antenna wrench

Started by blown motor, January 30, 2017, 03:33:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I'm replacing the antenna and I'm too cheap to buy a wrench for just one use so here's what I did. I used a needle nose Vise-Grip and set the width of the points appropriately for the chrome nut. Then I put electrical heat shrink tube on them to protect the chrome on the nut. Worked awesome!! Thanks to jimynick for the shrink tube idea.  :worship:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

Sweet idea!   :bravo:  I'm going to try that next time because I don't have that wrench either.

Burdar

My father-in-law has a mill.  He made me some bezel removal tools out of pipe conduit and old cheap sockets.  Just put the work piece in the mill and machine off all but four points.  I now have a tool to remove/install the antenna, as well as the ignition switch bezel and dash bezels on my Dart.  He also made some tools to install heater hose nipples in the intake.   :bigthumb:

Chryco Psycho

I bought the sockets at Carlisle , something around $16 for the set

usraptor

Quote from: blown motor on January 30, 2017, 03:33:59 PM
I'm replacing the antenna and I'm too cheap to buy a wrench for just one use so here's what I did. I used a needle nose Vise-Grip and set the width of the points appropriately for the chrome nut. Then I put electrical heat shrink tube on them to protect the chrome on the nut. Worked awesome!! Thanks to jimynick for the shrink tube idea.  :worship:

Good idea. Thanks for sharing.

RUNCHARGER

I always redneck it but It's only a matter of time before I tear up some paint one day.
Sheldon

jimynick

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 11, 2017, 07:20:20 PM
I always redneck it but It's only a matter of time before I tear up some paint one day.
:D  Do it early in the day- you know, before beer o'clock.
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

cataclysm80

Where do you get the proper tool?

Is there also one for the remote control mirror lever bezel?

Blake@diyhemi.com

John Rivinius (member here) makes the sockets for all special nuts. Radio, remote mirror, gas filler, antenna, headlight switches, even hydroboost. $16 may seem like a good bit of money, but how expensive is repairing chipped paint? Just my take on it.

Plus I love any excuse to add one more tool to my arsenal, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
especially when you are constantly building cars like @anlauto & I

anlauto

I have the proper tools for the antenna nut and mirror remote nut. They work great.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

69BFan

The machine shop that makes several pieces for us has made up this small antenna wrench that works great for either removing or installing the antenna bezel nuts.  It fits the 68 to 76 A, 68 to 74 B and 70-74 E-Body applications.  It fits tightly to the nut so as not slip and break the chrome. 
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

RUNCHARGER

Now that's nice! I think I'll make one like that.
Sheldon