Main Menu

Multimeter What do you use and recommend?

Started by Cudakiller70, March 27, 2018, 01:52:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

Looking for a automotive multimeter that will get the job done for wiring troubleshooting, maybe not too crazy with features.
What do you guys use and like?

shawge

I use an old Fluke meter while in the garage and keep a cheapo HF one in the car tool box for roadside diagnostics.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Brads70

:popcorn:  I've been thinking of getting a better quality one myself, but electronics are not my strong suit. Interested in hearing form some with more experience also!

1 Wild R/T

I've got two Flukes, one is a lab scope..... You don't need anywhere near that to work on cars..... I also have a $20 Craftsman meter that I've had for ten plus years, It's fine for anything short of computer diagnostics....

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-multimeter-digital-with-8-functions-and-20/p-03482141000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Honestly for probably 90% of automotive diagnostics I just grab a test light..... Good ones are computer safe & can identify power & ground.... 

This one looks decent...
https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-3031-Computer-Logic/dp/B005B4NCUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522192506&sr=8-2&keywords=computer+safe+test+light

dodj

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 27, 2018, 04:17:05 PM
Honestly for probably 90% of automotive diagnostics I just grab a test light.
:iagree:

You are looking for 12 volts.....or not 12 volts.

For the resistance checks... any cheap meter is good enough.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Yes I have done a lot with a test light. I inherited my son's antique Craftsman though when he won a Snap-On. You don't need anything fancy for these old cars but I do find the multimeter handy.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

There are 2 types digital & analog
both have there place
I like analog for a lot of reasons , other than ohms they are not dependant on batteries & with unstable readings there are easier to read
the digital ones will often beep so you do not need to see the reading on the meter .
You just need a simple meter with Volts & ohms , for testing older Mopars 

Katfish

I have several expensive meters I've acquired over the years, but rarely use them.
I always grab 1 of the free meters I've gotten from Harbor Freight and it does the job.
I must have at least 10 of them and it's nice not worrying about losing or braking it.

Dakota

I have a couple of multimeters from Radio Shack that I've had for many years.   Most of the time I've used them, it's been checking for either continuity or a short - rarely for measuring for a specific voltage or resistance.   I recently purchased a Power Probe 3 (see link below) which I expect to use much more when I start putting the electrical system back together on my car.   I've used it a couple of times troubleshooting electrical problems on snowblowers and was really happy with how it worked.

https://www.amazon.com/POWER-PROBE-III-Clamshell-Automotive/dp/B00G4YUWMC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522235275&sr=8-2&keywords=power+probe+3

HP_Cuda

My flukes have never let me down. Having said that most folks can get away with the cheapo ones.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Crash520

Iv just picked up a fluke clamp on DC current multimeter, if you can stretch the budget for a clamp on Amp meter do so, they are so handy for simply checking current draw
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

GrandpaKevin

I got this one from Santa.

Claimed to be made in the US.

It is auto ranging so no adjusting to get the desired reading.

It has worked great for the few times I've used it so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klein-Tools-MM5000-Electricians-TRMS-Multimeter-New/322996199178

1 Wild R/T

Personally I prefer no auto ranging.. I hate when I'm taking a reading & the value is right at the threshold where the meter changes scale....  Also when you expect a number & the actual reading is 10% of the correct reading & the meter picks a scale one decimal point off & you see what you expect but it's not really......... If I set it theres no mistakes......

I prefer to manually scale my oscilloscope too....

Chryco Psycho

As with most gauges , electric or hydraulic pressure you are better off running in the mid range of the scale not near the end .
Fluke is great stuff , only need to buy it once  :bigthumb:

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]