Main Menu

Mystery tools - what are they used for?

Started by Dakota, December 10, 2021, 07:23:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I've ended up with a large box of tools from a family friend who passed away recently.   He was an auto and truck mechanic for many years, and was also building an airplane until health issues grounded him.
In the box, there were several different sizes of these hand tools. 

I'm guessing the one on the right is a pipe reamer that's used to deburr pipe after it's cut.   The only thing I could think of for the angled punch is that it was used to lock nuts in place.  I don't have a need for them (as far as I know), but I am curious about what they are.   Opinions? Facts? Guesses?  Please let me know.   :notsure:

MoparLeo

The long reamer is a valve guide reamer. Curious that a precision tool would be loose in a box of tools. I keep my reamers clean, sharp and in individual plastic containers just large enough to fit the reamer.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

HP2

Could be the previous owner had no clue what they were either and simply tossed them in the box with no concern of their value and need to keep them sharp.

MoparLeo

I would think that was unlikely. Most mechanics keep their tools in good condition and would know to keep drill bits, files, chisels and like tools with sharp edges clean and separated . But who knows. Tools like these can be found at swap meets and Craigs List.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Racer57

Odds are they were worn out of tolerance and forgotten about.

Brads70

I'm going to guess the one ground to a shape was something made for cleaning o rings grooves or something like that. I have a bunch of stuff like that left over from my mold maker days... That reamer is likely junk/worn out. 

Dakota

Thanks for the replies. 

The reamer and groove cleaner descriptions makes sense given his work history.  The gentlemen who had these tools before was in his early 90's and retired for more than 20 years, so I'd guess the condition of his tools became less important with time. 

I've donated them all to Goodwill, so hopefully they'll find a new home somewhere. 

HP2

Quote from: MoparLeo on December 12, 2021, 12:39:08 PM
I would think that was unlikely. Most mechanics keep their tools in good condition and would know to keep drill bits, files, chisels and like tools with sharp edges clean and separated . But who knows. Tools like these can be found at swap meets and Craigs List.

True, but when things are worn out, used up or hand me downs of hand me downs, a lot of neglect can happen.