Main Menu

Oxy/Ac setup tank size...

Started by Cuda416, March 01, 2020, 08:21:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda416

Good morning folks.

As I get closer to starting my project, I'm looking a the last (hahaha) remaining tools I'll need to get started. I am going to need an Oxy/Ac setup but have no idea what size tanks to get.

The only reference I have is from auto body school 35 years ago and that was a high school alternative class I did in the afternoons, and did not end up a body man (sometimes I regret that but hey). Those tanks were about 4 feet high.

Point is I have no idea how long the tank fills can be expected to last with occasional use and for what size tank will be adequate.

Thoughts?

U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

1 Wild R/T

Before you buy tanks you might want to talk to your insurance provider... Mine allows small tanks but if you have larger tanks & have a fire you could be denied coverage...

JS29

Some company's won't sell you the big tanks. plus the room to store them. I like a bigger oxygen bottle, if you are going to be doing a lot of cutting.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

They do come in handy, but how much do you really think you'll be using them ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda416

I think maybe I made it seem like I have a problem with small tanks. I'm not apposed to them at all, just no idea how often I'll be filling them etc. I've never owned a set. i used to weld a lot with gas in school, but never since. I'll be using it mostly for bodywork.

I guess the question at this point, is what do people use/recommend?
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

gzig5

Unless you are cutting twenty feet of 1/2" plate, the compact tanks you can get at the Home store should suffice for any jobs on the car.  You might have to get them filled/exchanged but they are a lot easier to move around than a full size set.

Brads70

I'd buy instead of renting the middle size tanks (3-4 feet high) I rented them and never used them, got sick of paying rent and returned them full.  :alan2cents:
I found it's pretty rare that I needed them with cut off wheels etc... I'd buy a mig welder before a oxy/ac  set up.

BIGSHCLUNK

At home I've used propane, not as hot, but that little that I use it for its good enough. Don't rent tanks..... its like crumpling $20 bills an throwing them away

7E-Bodies

I bought a 3' set complete at a farm auction for $200 that gets me by fine.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Racer57

Get the full size tanks and make/buy a tank cart to move them around.  Nothing worse than running out when you need it. Not like the gas goes bad sitting around.

anlauto

When it comes to the restoration of a car, what would you use that much heat for ?  :huh:
I get by with a small propane torch just fine  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

1 Wild R/T

I agree with those who say it's not needed...   Especially for body work....  You don't want to gas weld body panels, to much heat = warpage...  You could use the heat to heat shrink but it's easily done with a Mapp gas torch...   I have small bottles & on cars I've only used them to heat frozen bolts... I use them for other stuff on agricultural equipment but not cars...

For body work you want a wire feed MIG welder...

JS29

:iagree: I use mine to heat up stubborn bolts more than anything else. 

anlauto

Quote from: JS29 on March 02, 2020, 07:06:42 AM
:iagree: I use mine to heat up stubborn bolts more than anything else.

They're very efficient for that  :twothumbsup: I use a propane torch and it takes for ever  :headbang:

RUNCHARGER

I would have to agree that an oxy set is not really needed. I've worked on cars for 45 years without a set. A MIG welder is pretty much required though along with a method (s) of cutting sheetmetal. Zip cutter, air chisel, spot weld cutter, tin snips etc. More money but a plasma cutter would be nice although not a must have.
Sheldon