Main Menu

Planishing hammer

Started by soundcontrol, May 16, 2017, 02:49:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Why don't they make handheld air planishing hammers? At least I can't find one (without a big frame that seems pretty impossible to use on a car most of the time). I did a test and just welded a big bolt head on my air chisel and it worked fine as a planishing hammer with a regular dolly. It left a rough surface, but I did not sand and polish the bolt head and I used too much air pressure. Now I'm gonna take a good hammer and cut the end off and weld it to my air chisel, instead of the bolt head.

Cuda Cody

:clapping:  Very cool.  Looks like it worked really good.  How did your hand feel?  Not to bad on it?  Overall it looks like it did a good job.  :lookatthat:

soundcontrol

I wouldn't do it all day long, but I didn't feel bad in my hand, and I had the setting to hard, I noticed afterwards that the tool had an adjustment for that. So I can set it to not hit so hard.

Brads70

I did something similar when "clearance"  was needed on my headers. Works great quick and easy!

1 Wild R/T

Many years ago Snap On sold a very nice planishing hammer bit for an air hammer....  About 1.25" in diameter,  rounded/rolled edges..... High quality steel...

jimynick

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 16, 2017, 06:40:41 PM
Many years ago Snap On sold a very nice planishing hammer bit for an air hammer....  About 1.25" in diameter,  rounded/rolled edges..... High quality steel...
Knowing Snap-on, it's probably made out of unobtainium and costs $200 today.  :D
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chaos-N-Mayhem

That actually looks like a pretty slick way to do that.

RUNCHARGER

That's a good setup. If you do a lot of frontend work a similiar setup works great for breaking joints apart without damaging them as well.
Sheldon

dougdel

That looks like a good set for $13 bucks.  Think I'll order it.

soundcontrol

I just ordered it! Thanks for the tip, 1 Wild R/T. It's shipping from China.

dougdel

Quote from: soundcontrol on August 05, 2017, 05:15:59 AM
It's shipping from China.
that's why it costs what it does,   if it were a snap on it would be in that 200 range  :takemymoney: