Main Menu

Raise and lower body

Started by IRON MAN, August 31, 2018, 10:58:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

IRON MAN

Last night, tack welded a frame "lift & lower bar" together. It  bolts  to the bumper support holes in the front sub frame and will assist when installing the engine & transmission together from under the 68 AMX. The car is 31" off the garage floor.where the engine will roll under. Once positioned, a cherry picker will lower the body using the fabricated bar, and the 390 and transmission will be bolted in place. This weekend I will finish welding the 1/4" bar and lift tabs. Also will remove the K member.

I looked at gantry cranes and 2-post lifts but too large for my garage. So went this route which lends itself to e-bodies too.

Burdar

Good job.  For mine I just used 1/4" thick angle iron.  I extended it out away from the body so the cherry picker's legs don't interfere with the K-member assembly.

IRON MAN

Looks good Burdar! Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of positioning the car at a diagonal. There is 5'5" from the fender to the wall. I have the engine storage cradle on casters that will support the transmission too, that can be rolled under the car. Then, cherry picker to raise engine to remove cradle and attach x member and engine mounts. Then lower engine onto HD creeper. Then detach cherry picker to use to lower body in place. A pain but doable.

jimynick

Is it just me, or how did you get the fuel pump onto the drivers side of a small block?  :huh:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

Quote from: jimynick on August 31, 2018, 09:05:45 PM
Is it just me, or how did you get the fuel pump onto the drivers side of a small block?  :huh:

:)   AMC engine.

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Last one I installed, I cradled the Hemi and K between the legs of the engine hoist (obviously shortened fully up top) that I lowered the body with. I should have taken photos of that one.
Sheldon

IRON MAN

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 31, 2018, 10:04:46 PM
Ha, ha: Last one I installed, I cradled the Hemi and K between the legs of the engine hoist (obviously shortened fully up top) that I lowered the body with. I should have taken photos of that one.
Very clever! I may consider doing it if my plan fails. Any hiccups? My engine hoist is 27"-32" wide and the x member is 36" wide (frame is 3" wide). Too bad you didn't take a photo. :thinking:

Katfish

Quote from: Burdar on August 31, 2018, 12:30:19 PM
Good job.  For mine I just used 1/4" thick angle iron.  I extended it out away from the body so the cherry picker's legs don't interfere with the K-member assembly.

Nice! Simple and effective

How is the cross bar attached?  Welded or just bolt it up to the other angle iron?

Burdar

Just bolted. The only thing the cross bar does is keeps the angle iron stable. I lift at the sides...not at the cross piece. I left the cross piece long so it should fit an E-body too. Just drill some new holes at the very end and it gets wider. The cross piece is just 1/8" thick.

I used 1/8" angle at first for the lift bars. That was plenty strong to lift the body by itself. When lifting the front with the engine installed, I could see the angle start to flex. That's when I upgraded the sides to 1/4".

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk