Main Menu

Ramps

Started by 71-440, June 04, 2018, 05:54:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

I made ramps out of scrap 2x8. There is nothing to collapse. I just stacked three pieces on top of each other...each piece shorter then the one underneath. I beveled the leading edge of each piece for a smoother transition. They are only 4 1/2" tall but that's enough to get under the car to change oil.

YellowThumper

Quote from: 71-440 on June 05, 2018, 10:36:23 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Thought about putting jack stands under there as an added protection but mine are to tall.
Maybe what i'll do is get the car up on the ramps and measure the height where the frame rail
is and make up a set of wooden blocks to take the place of the jack stands. :thinking:

Maybe overkill but I don't like getting under a car unless I am completely sure it's not going to crash down on me.
Yea I know chicken sh*t...lol

Thanks again guys!

For the price they are definitely attractive.  Being in the business of injection molding. I personally would not trust them. The way I see it once (and if) a failure happens it will be all or nothing. Look into the possibility of adding some creatively cut wood blocks on the inside between the ribbing. So if there is a failure it would not be a complete collapse.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

I was thinking of a filler as well. I think I would just not chance them.
Sheldon

Daveh

Been using them to change my oil and such.  Nothing heavy though.  I like them and have never had an issue.  Good luck.

7212Mopar

I had to look into ramps a few years back because jacking up newer Mopar is not as easy as the old ones. You also need the right kind of jack stands for the new cars. I decided to go with Race Ramps. Super light to move around and easy to use.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Brads70

I've had the Chevy Suburban on the race ramps , changing oil etc....  Ya they are a little pricey but it's cheaper than recovering in a hospital or paying for a funeral.... just saying..... the safety aspect was worth it to me.  It's kinda like buying the cheapest helmet you can find.... what's your head worth?

61K T/A

I bought the Race Ramps. They work perfect on lowered cars. The Qucik Jacks are nice too. My poor mans lift.

71-440

Well I just bought the Race Ramps RR-40. Used the year one DAD18 code and my $50.00 gift certificate. Came out to under $100.00 with shipping and tax.

Bringing back the Rhino Ramps. Just didn't sit right with me looking at them. I don't know getting older somehow changes your perspective on things. 40 Years ago I wouldn't have hesitated to use them. Hell I did a lot more crazy stuff back then.
Joe

Marc70challenger

Quote from: shawge on June 05, 2018, 01:56:06 PM
I've got a pair of the Race Ramps, been using them for changing the oil out of the 06 Charger since it sits so low. When in use I still put stands of some kind under the frame, just in case.

Absolutely.  Even when I have a car on jack stands I've got something solid as backup if I'm crawling under - solid rim, wood blocks, etc. at least something that's going to keep car from crushing me.  I've always been freaked out about crawling under heavy shit lol.

YellowThumper

Quote from: 71-440 on June 15, 2018, 04:57:13 PM
Well I just bought the Race Ramps RR-40. Used the year one DAD18 code and my $50.00 gift certificate. Came out to under $100.00 with shipping and tax.

Bringing back the Rhino Ramps. Just didn't sit right with me looking at them. I don't know getting older somehow changes your perspective on things. 40 Years ago I wouldn't have hesitated to use them. Hell I did a lot more crazy stuff back then.

Cool and I also have become "safer". Jack up car, place on ramps and where possible I will also leave the jack on it. Moving it around where necessary.

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

Seems like the smart way to handle it  :bradsthumb:

Cudakiller70

Quote from: Marc70challenger on June 15, 2018, 05:05:11 PM
Quote from: shawge on June 05, 2018, 01:56:06 PM
I've got a pair of the Race Ramps, been using them for changing the oil out of the 06 Charger since it sits so low. When in use I still put stands of some kind under the frame, just in case.

Absolutely.  Even when I have a car on jack stands I've got something solid as backup if I'm crawling under - solid rim, wood blocks, etc. at least something that's going to keep car from crushing me.  I've always been freaked out about crawling under heavy shit lol.
I do the same thing! I've got some assorted large lumber that I'll slide under the frame or wherever.

ZEN357

I have a set of those I use for my Challenger.  Never had any issue with them but also put jacks stands under my car after I put c car on the ramps.

Cudakiller70

I like this simple and solid

Trouble

I went with these