Main Menu

Seeking guidance on flatbed trailors

Started by 70vert, February 20, 2023, 03:30:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

Well I think I am in the market for a flatbed trailer so I can go to some non-local shows/meets. Can't afford enclosed, or anything fancy so it may be a bust. But renting about 2-3 times will practically pay for one. So here are some specific questions:

1) I've got a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee with tow package, it is rated for hauling 6,200lbs gross trailer weight. Is this enough? Do I need to focus on aluminum to keep the trailer weight down? I expect to mostly go from Houston to Tulsa so no major mountains to cross (:

2) I think I've read elsewhere that 16ft is a minimum, or would a 14ft work? I think the rental trailers are 14ft.

3) Some of the trailers I see have the wheels way close to the back of trailer and others have them more centered, what is the difference?

4) Would going with a used trailer be too risky, any tips or guidance when looking?

5) Any must have accessories, other than tie-down straps?

I know that is a lot of questions, but trailers are expensive and although I've towed a few I've never owned one. Thanks for any guidance!

PS: @Cuda Cody - I read your post on trailers from a few years back, curious what you ended up getting?

RUNCHARGER

Right away I don't like the 6200LB tow rating. I usually allow 2000lbs for a flatbed trailer (probably a shade heavy) and then 4000lbs for a typical Mopar.
I like a 16 foot trailer, a 14 foot usually means the tailend of your car is hanging out and some phone-squinter will likely pile into it.
You want 10% of your trailer/cargo weight on the hitch of your pull vehicle (hopefully it can handle the 620lbs). So you want the wheels of the trailer positioned so you can achieve that with the loaded car. So the trailer wheels usually end up about the center of the door of the car (within 6"=12" either way). You definetly don't want the trailer wheels too far back with your tow vehicle or you'll be way overweight on your hitch.
Personally I would never buy a new trailer, way too much $$$. Buy a used one in good shape, look for good welds everywhere, no repairs or cracks. No matter how good it looks pull all the wheels off and check/repair brakes and clean/replace/grease the wheel bearings. Look at tire dates to make sure they aren't aged out. Check all the wiring and if it is sketchy just throw it all away and rewire it. It's really easy to rewire a trailer and if a monkey has fixed one part of the old harness he's probably touched more parts and it will fail at the most inopportune time.
Probably lots I'm forgetting but that will get you started.
Photo is for fun and is 1980era, I wouldn't use this one now.
Sheldon