Main Menu

Spotweld Cutter

Started by Rdchallenger, December 17, 2017, 07:04:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

I'm trying to figure out which spot weld cutter to go with obviously HF isn't one that I'm looking for even though I love that place. I've seen a lot people suggest Blaire's which size is correct? 5/16? Thanks for any help.

Cuda Cody

I like the Blair 3/8" when I work on E-Bodies.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rdchallenger

jimynick

Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 17, 2017, 07:18:13 PM
I like the Blair 3/8" when I work on E-Bodies.  :alan2cents:
:iagree:  Yup, what the man said. If you make a shallow pilot hole with a 1/8' drill, you'll find they work better and hold down the speed to make cleaner cuts, save your knuckles and slow down the bit attrition.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Shane Kelley

Run your drill at a slow speed and keep dipping your bit in transmission fluid.  High speed drill and no fluid will burn a bit right up.  :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

Sometimes a simple punch (the spring loaded ones from Harbor Freight) will work for setting a center spot for the cutter to hold on to.   :alan2cents:  Small drill works better but takes a little more time.

purple1

If you are only working on one car the HF one worked fine for me. At 4.99 each I got 2. So far I have only used one side of one of them on my car. You might want to re-consider HF.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-double-sided-rotary-spot-weld-cutter-95343.html

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer. Severna Park, Maryland

Rdchallenger

:fingerscrossed:
Quote from: purple1 on December 19, 2017, 06:14:48 AM
If you are only working on one car the HF one worked fine for me. At 4.99 each I got 2. So far I have only used one side of one of them on my car. You might want to re-consider HF.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-double-sided-rotary-spot-weld-cutter-95343.html

I actually used the HF (I love that store) one about a year ago when drilling out the trunk pan. Unfortunately it dulled easily and would skip even after drilling a pilot hole. Knowing that I'm going to have to do another quarter panel as well as wheel wells I knew it was time to try something new.

RUNCHARGER

Cutting oil helps a lot in my experience. It does make a mess though.
Sheldon