Main Menu

Trouble disassembling Steering column, need C-4044

Started by CudaHead, August 16, 2018, 08:20:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaHead

I am trying to replace the turn signal switch on my 70 Cuda.
I got all the way down to the part of removing the wiring. It hung on the other wiring and I can not get it to go forward or back out again.

I need to take that last part off to get to the wiring and I can not get the part to come off.

I watched Cody's video where he says remove the screws and the snap ring. then put a nut on the shaft and pull while taping to a little and it comes off.

It does not come off.

I need the C-4044 Miller tool to get this loose.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on one of these?

Cuda Cody

There was a guy that was making them.  But can you post a photo of where you are at in the process.  There's always a few different ways to get it done.

anlauto

I've done dozens of columns with-out any special tools  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

CudaHead

I have a string around the connector. It somehow got tangled up with the ignition cable nd I cannot get it to back out or go forward. I tried everything I could.
That URL listed for EBay has ended.

Cuda Cody

You can make the tool yourself if you can't find one to buy.  @wanderlustin  made his own and might be able to post some photos of how he did it?

CudaHead

Got it!!!
Never give up, never surrender.
Thanks for everyone's help.

JunkYardFind

I am in this boat now :/
Looks like you used a steering wheel puller. Anything else I need to know to make this thing come off?

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

truckinman466

I just did this. I used a pick to cut the rubber around the bearing then used a small screw driver to pry around the bearing. It eventually wiggled off.

Floyd

Did this recently and found an old post from a guy that made a puller out of easily obtained parts without need of welding.  Copied his idea and it worked like a charm.

There's a nut inside the threaded pipe that is held secure by the two bolts.

larry4406

Floyd

How is the nut held captive by the side screws?  Bearing on flats or acting as a stop pin?

Floyd

Against the flats but I ended up drilling indentations to get it to hold better.

gzig5

Quote from: Floyd on April 17, 2021, 01:41:23 PM
Against the flats but I ended up drilling indentations to get it to hold better.

Give in to the dark side....buy a welder.  You know you want to.....

Floyd