Main Menu

Ultrasonic cleaner

Started by Swamp Donkey, January 07, 2021, 07:36:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Swamp Donkey

Does anyone use this over a sandblasting cabinet for cleaning parts?  I was just at my friends place and he showed me a few bolts that were in his ultrasonic cleaner and they were rather impressive.  I might alibaba or Amazon one up if I hear more good things about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

RacerX

Quote from: Swamp Donkey on January 07, 2021, 07:36:38 PM
Does anyone use this over a sandblasting cabinet for cleaning parts?  I was just at my friends place and he showed me a few bolts that were in his ultrasonic cleaner and they were rather impressive.  I might alibaba or Amazon one up if I hear more good things about them.

I use the Harbor Fright blast cabinet...   works great but not out of the box.   Needs a few mods to eliminate a lot of frustration.
I use glass beads in it mostly.  There is a before/after of my steering column in my restoration thread.   Blasted the parts in
there before repainting.   Looks brand new....  you would swear they are not the same parts!

I also have a 15 liter ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon.   Works great on carbs with Simple Green Extreme.  It is too slow for
general cleaning though and won't get rust off.   The blast cab does a much faster and better job on things like that.

Swamp Donkey

Hmmmm.  Looks like I might need both!  Or maybe just the blast cabinet.

1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Chryco Psycho

I love the ultrasonic cleaners , for delicate parts such as Carbs nothing works better .

1 Wild R/T

Ultrasonic cleaners are great for delicate jobs & especially if you want to preserve a finish/plating... Blasting is great if you aren't concerned about details, just want crusty crap cleaned quickly....  Then theres Evaporust which does a great job of removing rust without damaging surfaces...

gzig5

You have to be careful about leaving stuff too long in an ultrasonic tank. The cavitation can seriously affect the finish depending on what it is and what chemical you're using. But they are really nice for delicate things that sandblasting won't work on.

Topcat

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 07, 2021, 09:20:17 PM
Ultrasonic cleaners are great for delicate jobs & especially if you want to preserve a finish/plating... Blasting is great if you aren't concerned about details, just want crusty crap cleaned quickly....  Then theres Evaporust which does a great job of removing rust without damaging surfaces...

Evaporust can change/remove Galvanizing, Anodized, & Zinc plating if left too long.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Topcat on January 07, 2021, 10:59:43 PM

Evaporust can change/remove Galvanizing, Anodized, & Zinc plating if left too long.

Yeah, but generally my parts being fairly clean California parts don't need to soak that long... And if your working with rust belt parts chances are the finish was already toast....

gzig5

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 08, 2021, 01:31:28 AM

Yeah, but generally my parts being fairly clean California parts don't need to soak that long... And if your working with rust belt parts chances are the finish was already toast....
This is true. I mentioned the time only because you can damage an otherwise restoreable finish by leaving the part in the tank too long.  Usually 5-15 minutes is enough depending on the tank power, part size, and solution.  I left something that was one time a polished finish in for two hours by mistake (no timer) and it came out with a matte finish.  It was devoid of any and all dirt though.  The ultrasonic cleaning process relies upon cavitation, which can be surprisingly harmful to metal parts.  I would love to get a big tank that a carb would fit in but can't justify it....yet.

RacerX

Common vinegar works great for rust removal at a fraction of the cost of Evaporust.

Same situation though, don't leave the parts in too long or they can be ruined.