Main Menu

1973 Barracuda in Pink?

Started by Matt13, March 01, 2020, 02:26:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Matt13

Just got my barracuda delivered yesterday. Previous owner thinks it was pink originally. I didn't think 1973 had the moulin rouge/panther pink option. Both fenders, hood and upper door jambs behind rubber gaskets show pink at the original paint level. Unfortunately, there is no data plate. Was pink a SO option for 1973?

anlauto

Hey welcome to the best E Body web site in the world Matt :grouphug:

Short answer NO FM3 Moulin Rouge in 1973 PERIOD.

HOWEVER....with Mopar you can "never say never".....The car could have been ordered with a "999" special order paint code in which Chrysler would have practically painted it any colour you wanted.....BUT you would need proof of that....NO fender tag, NO broadcast sheet....NO pre-restoration pictures, your proof is pretty much out the window. :dunno:

Finding pink paint in the door jambs or under rubbers, means nothing 47 years after the car was born, many changes could have taken place over the years :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Post some current pictures, we'd love to see the car  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Welcome to the site!  I too would like to see some pictures of the 73.   Sounds like a cool car . . Maybe a shot of the fender tag? 

Glad you signed up!   :bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

CudaMoparRay

Matt13

Thanks for all the replies. No data plate tag, so I can't get a shot of that. Car is now an aquamarine color with black stripes. Needs a full restoration and if I can find proof (like a broadcast sheet), I will have it painted the pink again. Bought the car out of Texas, but riveted to the firewall is a special Pennsylvania plate, about the same size as the data plate would have been. Top line reads: Pennsylvania Special Plate, then under that the number 24309754614, then under that Title, then under that the VIN. Does anyone know what that means?

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Welcome to the forum @Matt13   :welcome: 

Yes, Anlauto is right.  Even though pink was not a stock color, it could have been ordered as a special color that year.  Post some photos if you can.

6bblgt

Quote from: Matt13 on March 01, 2020, 03:39:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies. No data plate tag, so I can't get a shot of that. Car is now an aquamarine color with black stripes. Needs a full restoration and if I can find proof (like a broadcast sheet), I will have it painted the pink again. Bought the car out of Texas, but riveted to the firewall is a special Pennsylvania plate, about the same size as the data plate would have been. Top line reads: Pennsylvania Special Plate, then under that the number 24309754614, then under that Title, then under that the VIN. Does anyone know what that means?

pics would help, but it sounds like a state issued VIN tag or similar, what's on the dash & what are the body number stampings?

Matt13

There is nothing on the dash. There is a spot where the vin tag should be and two holes for the rivets, but no tag. But, the area is so clean and unmarked/unscratched, it doesn't look like there was a tag ever there. Could this special plate be there in place of a vin tag?

6bblgt

that is a PA state issued VIN tag, due to a missing/lost/destroyed factory original

JS29

Or rebuilt salvage Or theft recovery.  :alan2cents:    :welcome:  :handshake:

Matt13

Quote from: JS29 on March 02, 2020, 06:07:46 AM
Or rebuilt salvage Or theft recovery.  :alan2cents:    :welcome:  :handshake:
Even if the title is clear?

JS29

If the title is clear, it would be branded. If the dash tag were to come up missing or major body components were changed then it would be giving a state issued VIN. That is what New York state would do. Have you checked the rad support and cowl numbers. That would give the year, assembly plant and sequential numbers.  :alan2cents:

bcudachris

Possible this was a gray market vehicle.  Maybe Canadian and brought South, or brought re-imported from Europe?  I bet PA has some records on that thing.  Maybe also a race car someone put back on the road at some point.  Salvage of some sort seems the likeliest reason for a State issued VIN to me.  Good Luck with the mystery!

I've also seen State VIN plates on cars that came home with deployed vets too, usually Euro cars not sold here (worked at a tail pipe emission shop in CO in the early-mid 90's that also did VIN inspections).  Weirdest thing I ever saw in that job was a 70-something 2dr Benz.  Was a 6cyl car, but was like the cheapest road runner you could get back in the day.  rubber mats, column shift auto, speedo, fuel gauge and that's it  Radio delete and don't recall heater controlls.  Strangest thing was we couldn't find any stampings or plates that looked anything like a VIN.  Car came from North Africa was all the info we had.  Had to send the guy to the state office of such things.  Took a couple of months, but it came back with a CO state VIN.  And failed emissions visual because a US car should have a cat whatever year they decided it was.  He managed to get an exemption.

RUNCHARGER

Most likely dash pad was changed and tag lost, or it was a stolen car at some point.
Sheldon