Main Menu

340 Engine 0B184?76

Started by Solarguy, July 28, 2021, 04:31:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Solarguy

So, My NOM in my car has the following partial VIN stamp  0B184?76.  To me, it looks like it should be 076 but it could also be 676 or even 876.  What are your eyes seeing and  can I find what vehicle type this motor may have come in.  Thanks

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

That's a tough one but I'm going to say 076.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

73_Cuda_4_Me

It is definitely not an 8, and doesn't appear to be a 6, as there is no intersecting line in the vertical on the left side of the number... so I vote '0'...

As far as which vehicle it came in...    :dunno:

This is based on the stamping on `70 340 engine I have - 0B438732 with casting date of 3/4/70...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

SgtSuperbird

anlauto

I say the "0" has straighter sides then this number appears to have  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mr Lee

Hmm hard to say.  I was gonna say 0 but Alan has a point.  It looks a bit curved on the side like a 6, ....yet, at the same time there's no indentation in that right edge of the left line where the 6 would be curling back into itself.  Def not an 8 though. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

6bblgt

if it is a 340 & 0B184076 - it would've been a 340 Duster

if it is a 340 & 0B184676 - it would've been a 340 Challenger - my money's on "6" - got a better pic?  does the top terminate or fade off?

0B438732 is/was a 'cuda BS23H0B438732 or BS27H0B438732

Solarguy

Thanks for the responses.  I think Alan has it nailed with his interpretation of the left leg of the number, I now think it's a poorly stamped 6.  @6bblgt , I was hoping you would chime in.  That's the best pic I could get as motor is installed in my car.  Stamping looks faded off at that area.  How do you determine what vehicle it came out of?  Thanks

dodj

Looks like a zero to me. Can the first 'zero' be the letter  'O'? Or could have someone used a letter 'O' stamp where a numeric 0 was actually called for?  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on July 30, 2021, 04:08:41 AM
Looks like a zero to me. Can the first 'zero' be the letter  'O'? Or could have someone used a letter 'O' stamp where a numeric 0 was actually called for?  :dunno:

:haha: :haha: don't tell the "font police " that :pokeeye:

Mopsquad

It's obvious.  I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. It's a "C"   :P

MoparCarGuy

The font for zero is straight on the sides. ICCA judging standards font example and an example from an AAR below showing the straight-sided zeros.
The font for "6" is curved. It is absolutely a "6".
The engine VIN stamp starts with a numeral, in this case, a "0" which is zero for 1970 and in the correct font.
RESULT: 0B184676

6bblgt

"0", "6" & "9" can be "racetrack" or "egg" shaped - often in the same stamping  :takealook:

Matt M

What a great thread.
Lots to learn from this guys.....