Main Menu

72 Barracuda Tag - What Year Was This Built?

Started by cataclysm80, April 22, 2017, 11:45:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

This is an interesting car. 
Arizona car, rust free and pretty complete.  typical cracks in dash, carpet has been removed, and the front seat upholstery is very torn up, especially on the driver's side.  Original paint.  Still original under the hood, but looks like it has a new master cylinder and engine belts, maybe some black spray paint on the inner fenders.
Wearing a 1973 license plate with a 1978 sticker.  Been off the road for a while.

Here's the fender tag.   Scheduled Production Date July 30th, but the VIN number is in the eight thousands.

What year was this car built?
July 30th 1971 was a Friday, and July 30th 1972 was a Sunday.
Is this a pilot car?
If it's built that early, why is the VIN over eight thousand.  Seems pretty high for roughly the first day of production, and no where near high enough for the last day of production.

I asked about the door sticker date, and the fuel vapor separator location, but haven't heard back yet.

6bblgt

7/30/71
Chrysler Corp. started "normal" 1972 model year production around 7/14/71

cataclysm80

anlauto

Yup, Dan is the man  :banana: Glad to have him as a part of our team here  :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda dad

If it has the original engine you can also verify by the number on the front of the engine and compare to the 10,000 day calendar.  In this image the 3255 is the day it was built and the 0317 is the 317th engine built that day.

cataclysm80

I'm used to hearing that production started on August 1st, but apparently 1972 production began earlier.
When did 73 & 74 production start?

Cuda Cody

Dan is an amazing guy that is a huge benefit to all of us in the hobby.  He makes having E-Bodies even more fun then they already were.  Thanks for all you do man.

cataclysm80

Quick update:   
The owner did send me a pic of the vapor separator which is located inside the trunk, like it should be on an early built 1972 model car.
He also sent a pic of the door sticker, which shows a date of August 1971.

6bblgt

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 23, 2017, 12:36:51 PM
When did 73 & 74 production start?

I don't have lots of organized '73 & '74 numbers, but it appears "first day of production" as expected: maybe Monday 7/31 for 1973 & Monday 7/30 for 1974