Main Menu

Any particular reason why some cars got 2 build sheets?

Started by GrandpaKevin, January 29, 2023, 06:01:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

Moving some paperwork around and had a chance to look over the 2 build sheets for my 71 R/T Challenger.

From what I can tell they are both identical and match the car.

The build sheets were removed by the previous owner so I don't where in the car they were located.

My car doesn't have a ton of options but does have a few unique ones.

Any ideas why some cars got 2 build sheets?

anlauto

The build sheets would have been everywhere on each sub assembly of each car, most got removed and tossed, some just got stuffed in seats and left there... :dunno: luck of the draw :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

I wonder how many build sheets each car actually had back then?  It might have been dozens!
They must have filled up several dumpsters with buildsheets every day the line was running, one could probably find some blown up against the fences around the grounds too.
It was never the intention for cars to leave the factory with sheets. LA was pretty good about throwing them all out after the car moved past a station on the assembly line. That is why LA sheets are rare to find.  A few typically got left in Hamtramck cars thankfully.
I've wondered though why they so often ended up in other cars.  My T/A had 2 left in it, one in the back seat, one in the passenger seat.
Both for the same car, another T/A 22 VIN after mine.  :pullinghair:

GrandpaKevin

I've owned my 73 Challenger for close to 45 years.
I found a build sheet under the rear seat many years ago and filed it.
It wasn't until about 5 years ago I took a close look at it and discovered the sheet was for a different car. :notsure:

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on January 29, 2023, 06:01:59 PM
The build sheets were removed by the previous owner so I don't where in the car they were located.
Check your broadcast sheets for the spring rust stains. The bucket seat springs are round while the rear seatback springs are square with rounded corners.
Sheets found in the dash do not have these spring rust stains.
Samples for comparison below.

Cuda_mark

@GrandpaKevin @JH27N0B Same here! My car is a gran coupe convertible and my rear seat had a build sheet for a gran coupe hardtop in it. The odd thing is that the sequence numbers are nowhere near the same. It was found in the rear seat too so unless someone changed my rear convertible seat at some point....who knows.

RUNCHARGER

I was the first guy into my FM3 Challenger and I there were at least 5 sheets in it. 2 in the seats and 3 on the floor. All were correct to the car. The car was only 8 years old when I bought it.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

When I was disassembling my T/A for restoration and pulled the original carpet out, all I found on the floor were the backing papers from the rear 1/4 window Scat Pak decals.  :(
It would be interesting to know why some cars had some of their sheets and others had sheets for different cars.
My T/A was one of a group of 4 sequential VIN identical T/As builds, and as previously mentioned had 2 sheets for a T/A 22 VINs later in it.
The identical T/A 2 VINs after mine had a sheet in it, for the identical T/A next in line.  Fortunately, that car still exists so the sheet was reunited with it.
And the FC7 T/A the sheets in my car were for, still existed, at least 30 years ago, the owner was put in contact with me through the registry and I mailed him his sheets.
The car was a project then, I've never heard anything about the car since.  If anyone knows about a purple T/A with a VIN ending in 758 that was in NY state in the early 90s I'd be interested in hearing how the car my car had the sheets for is doing now.  I've searched the internet for the VIN and the only hit I got was from a post I did here a couple years ago where I'd mentioned it.

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on January 29, 2023, 09:22:55 PM
Quote from: GrandpaKevin on January 29, 2023, 06:01:59 PM
Check your broadcast sheets for the spring rust stains. The bucket seat springs are round while the rear seatback springs are square with rounded corners.
Sheets found in the dash do not have these spring rust stains.
Samples for comparison below.

Interesting observation about the different seat spring stains. :bigthumb:

It appears my build sheets came from both the front and back seats.
The sheet from the rear seat is in much better condition.

headejm

My 1970 Hamtramck Challenger SPD = 508 had 3 sheets, all in great shape except for the rear seat spring marks which are kind of cool. One in the rear seat springs, one behind the front seat back, one under the carpet. Above the glove box is also a popular spot but my car did not have one there.

Skdmark

My 71 R/T had two sheets. Rear seat and under the passenger seat bottom.

My 71 Barracuda has a small piece of the line feed strip of a broadcast sheet taped to fhe glove box liner. The rear seat had a very clean sheet intact with the carbon paper and a duplicate sheet under it.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

benguin

My Nov '69 Hamtramck build 'cuda had two- one in each seatback- and both of them for Gran Coupes.  They had the leather seating like my car, so they clearly just grabbed from the "black leather bucket' lineup.

My '1970 LA build Challenger did have one under the back seat.

57Fury440

The 72 Barracuda I bought new (and we still have) had 3 build sheets. 2 were under the seats and one was on the floor beneath the rug. I don't think there was any strict regulations for the workers to follow as far as how many and where.

cuda hunter

Quote from: Skdmark on January 30, 2023, 12:13:17 PM

My 71 Barracuda has a small piece of the line feed strip of a broadcast sheet taped to fhe glove box liner.
The rear seat had a very clean sheet intact with the carbon paper and a duplicate sheet under it.

Do you have pictures of the line feed and the carbon paper on a thread here?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee