Main Menu

Anybody here with a 1970 vehicle-ORDER-# in the "0829xx" to "0830xx"-range?

Started by TobiasM, July 25, 2017, 08:32:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

TobiasM

Hi folks,

is there anybody with a 1970 Challenger (sorry, no Cudas of any help here) that has a vehicle-order-number (VON) in the range from "0829xx" to and "0830xx"?

Do you than already know who the original dealership was that sold your car new in 1970 or have a broadcastsheet (a.k.a. buildsheet)?

If so, I would really appreciate if you contacted me. To do so, either use this board or send an email to "derheuschmidder" followed by "@" and then final-ending is "gmx.de".

Why am I asking? Cause I have got no broadcastsheet to my 1970 Challenger or other appropriate documents, that would allow me to find out what was the original dealership that sold my car new in 1970.

Maybe this info helps others:

- VON 086302 belongs to a CUDA ordered from a dealership in Cleveland, OH.

You find your cars vehicle-order-number (VON) on your 1970 fendertag in the second line from bottom, it is the last 6 digits on the far right, see attached example-pic I borrowed from the www (yes, that samplepic shows a Cuda, though I am searching for Challengers).

Cuda Cody

The VON numbers are specific to the model.  So using the numbers 082900 as an example of a Challenger VON, there is also a 082900 for a Cuda, Charger, GTS, ect.  So you would need to find another 1970 Challenger with a VON close to your to be able to get a good guess.  @6bblgt  has the biggest and best VON list registry of anyone I have ever met. 

TobiasM

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 25, 2017, 08:49:05 AM
The VON numbers are specific to the model.  So using the numbers 082900 as an example of a Challenger VON, there is also a 082900 for a Cuda, Charger, GTS, ect.  So you would need to find another 1970 Challenger with a VON close to your to be able to get a good guess.

Thanks for your immediate input, Cody, very interesting, please lets discuss that:

Because that the same VON might be used for several different car-models doesn't make sense to me from a logical point of view:

it would have been much easier for Ma-Mopar in producing the order forms with using consecutive (vehicle order-)numbers on the form. Not only printing/manufacturing of that form would have been much easier=cheaper, it would also cut buerocracy as there is one form for all car-models.

Also using one VON per car would dramatically decrease the risk of any errors during the line from taking the order from the customer in the dealership, to transmitting it to Mopar-central and in the end to getting the specific car produced/delivered...risk is decreased because each VON would exist only once ever...si if a 1970 Cuda and lets say a Fury stationeagon had the same VON, there would be a risk the Cuda ends up with a tailgate and the Fury Wagon with only two doors!  :alan2cents:

Is there any 1970 MOpar order-forms available on the www?

Cuda Cody

Because the pre-printed Vehicle Order Forms had the VON on them and each package of order forms are specific to the model and year that is why there are the same VON's for all the car lines.  I think I got this sample one from Ola or Dan.  you can see the VON in the upper left hand corner. 

6bblgt

TobiasM

Great, Cody! So the VON for that 71 Challenger R/T on your supplied order-form is the "013414".

Interesting, that Mopar chose that way in keeping control of all the orders.

Corrected my initial thread to that I deleted the "any modell" and now I am seeking for CHALLENGER ONLY.

6bblgt

TobiasM

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 25, 2017, 09:42:51 AM
& I have NO '70 Challengers in the given range

Thanks, Dan  :twothumbsup: though sorry to hear, of course. So will be waiting patiently then for hopefully somebody else knowing a proper car.

TobiasM

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 25, 2017, 09:35:42 AM
the above order form & VON is for this  :wowzers:

That red 71 Hemi Challenger is a beauty for sure!

Here is a 1970 Challenger order-form, the VON is also in the top right corner. That specific 1970 T/A that "my" order-form belongs to is also quite a ride!

Heres some more documentation of that T/A....unfortunately not in my VON-range, but that one was delivered new by Mr. Norm Grand Spaulding Doge...here is the link to the sales-webbapeg:

http://mcecars.com/vehicles/159/1970-dodge-challenger-ta

Culvers

Culvers

Quote from: TobiasM on July 26, 2017, 02:29:02 AMand that car was originally sold where / at which dealership?

I also sent you a PM...
I just found this VIN in my list, no further informations

No PM yet

6bblgt

@Culvers - that's not an authentic produced by Chrysler Corp. fender tag - it has a few mistakes/errors

TobiasM

Quote from: Culvers on July 26, 2017, 07:48:55 AM
Quote from: TobiasM on July 26, 2017, 02:29:02 AMand that car was originally sold where / at which dealership?

I also sent you a PM...
I just found this VIN in my list, no further informations

No PM yet

Thanks for reply. Sad to hear that no info on dealership to that one.

Have to correct myself: the "envelope"-button I hit to contact you did not create a PM, but an email. So please check your emai-account that you are registered with to this board.

TobiasM

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 26, 2017, 10:05:03 AM
that's not an authentic produced by Chrysler Corp. fender tag - it has a few mistakes/errors

Thanks Dan, too, for input.

Yes, can also confirm 1st hand that the tag shown on the photo Detlef posted is a repro-tag. But don't wanna turn this thread offtopic, so I will send you an email in some seconds.

Lets keep ontopic: anybody here who has or knows a 1970 Challenger with a VON in the "0829xx" to "0830xx" range?

There is some good news, too: a German Mopar-buddy, Jens,  hinded me to even two cars with VON's in the asked range.

car #1 seems to be a very dependable hit: VON 083029 belongs to a car delivered new in CT and which is nothing less than a Hemi-Challenger, VIN is JS23R0B218163, orange in colour, last sold at a MECUM-auction, here is the link to that auction: https://www.mecum.com/lots/WA0615-215116/1970-dodge-hemi-challenger-rt/ Does anybody accidentally know, at what dealership in CT this car was sold new?

car #2 has a VON of 082912, it's a plumcrazy R/T, but nothing known to me about where originally sold new to me right now. I hardly doubt, that it is a car originally sold to CA. It might have spent some time there, if so at all. This car is actually for sale right now, here is the link: https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1001909/1970-dodge-challenger-for-sale-in-westford-massachusetts-01886 Same question here: anybody aboardnknows where this car was sold new?

So please look up your fendertags, buildsheets or windowstickers for if your VON is in the "0829xx" to "0830xx" range!  :thankyou:  :grouphug: