Main Menu

barracuda either 1970 or 71 bare shell how to tell apart?

Started by 1vinnie1, February 28, 2020, 10:18:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1vinnie1

How to tell a 1970 from 1971 barracuda bare shell (no sheet metal dash etc..

anlauto

There's tons of differences between a 1970 shell and a 1971 shell. Ones that will jump out at you would be location of the E Brake cable mounts 70 has two cables running on the left side, 71 has a cable on each side....another is right inner fender, 71 has a indented notch for the fuel vent line, Inner rockers are totally different to support a totally different style floor pan, front seat belt retractor nut location, etc...etc... etc...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

...and WELCOME to the best E Body web site in the WORLD  :welcome:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

3.0CSL

anlauto

Quote from: 3.0CSL on February 28, 2020, 11:06:15 AM
So, are 70 and 71 Challenger body shells different ?

YES....the same rules apply for all 1970 -71 E Bodies Cuda and Challenger... and YES if you're shopping for a shell to replace a rusty 1970 one, it's best to shop around for another 1970 shell :alan2cents:

JS29

:welcome: @1vinnie1 From central New York! What are you looking at, Help is offered for toughs who ask.  :handshake:

JS29

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  And the cowl / rad VIN will tell you the year too.

anlauto

....well, yea....I guess you could look there first  :haha: :haha:

unless of course the numbers have been swapped already :Stirring:

JS29

The holes to access the shock bolts are in a different location also.  :alan2cents:

CudaMoparRay

Spikedog08

I knew the 70 was unique for many features but sure appears they redesigned it in many areas.  But didn't they make almost as many 70 cars as they did the rest of the years?   
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!