Main Menu

Body VIN Stamps

Started by 340Challman, December 22, 2020, 07:04:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340Challman

Hey Guys, what are all of the locations that the body got stamped with the VIN on a Hamtramck 70 Challenger? I know of the cowl and radiator core support, but I thought there was at least one more. Thanks.
Kevin

R/T's 4 R/P

Nope...that's it.
Add in door decal, Dash Tag, and Fender Tag.

70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

anlauto

Quote from: 340Challman on December 22, 2020, 07:04:08 PM
Hey Guys, what are all of the locations that the body got stamped with the VIN on a Hamtramck 70 Challenger? I know of the cowl and radiator core support, but I thought there was at least one more. Thanks.

Yup...that's it, no trunk stamp on an E Body...just the two you mentioned. :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340Challman

Ok. Great. Thanks guys. I didn't see any, but wanted to be sure. Car is headed to the blaster and I wanted to let him know to go easy in those areas.
Kevin

340Challman

Car came back from the blaster and reveals that the upper cowl should probably be replaced. My concern is losing the vin stamp. Are stamps with the correct font available and more importantly, is it legal/acceptable?
Will I need to cut out the original stamp and graft it into the new cowl?
Kevin

anlauto

Quote from: 340Challman on December 31, 2020, 10:38:24 AM
Car came back from the blaster and reveals that the upper cowl should probably be replaced. My concern is losing the vin stamp. Are stamps with the correct font available and more importantly, is it legal/acceptable?
Will I need to cut out the original stamp and graft it into the new cowl?

You likely may find stamps that are "close", but your best bet is to cut out a piece and weld it into the new cowl...make sure to metal finish both sides before installing the new cowl....You may hear people bitching about the legality of it...but it's been done thousands of times... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo

:iagree: As long as you keeping the numbers on the original car.  No harm no foul.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

340Challman

Thanks guys. I really didn't want to lose that vin stamp. I didn't think it would be an issue, but wanted to see what the group thought about it. :cheers:
Kevin

Fastmark

All you are doing is replacing the rusted part and leaving the original metal with the car. It just has some numbers on it. It's staying with the car it was born with.

truckinman466

I just got done doing this. I cut the vin from the old cowl and welded on the new one.

chris NOS

make sure you take a bunch of picture to document the operation , it will avoid the re-body suspicion later on.

ek3

Quote from: chris NOS on January 01, 2021, 06:10:40 AM
make sure you take a bunch of picture to document the operation , it will avoid the re-body suspicion later on.
:iagree:  this is as good as it gets.. honest and up front....

340Challman

Quote from: ek3 on January 01, 2021, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: chris NOS on January 01, 2021, 06:10:40 AM
:iagree:  this is as good as it gets.. honest and up front....

Good advice guys. Definitely will. Thanks.
Kevin