Main Menu

Can you tell a real Dash VIN tag from a Fake? (photos)

Started by Cuda Cody, April 17, 2018, 08:18:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

We all know that buying a Cuda or Challenger can be a super exciting time.  Some of the best memories I have are of tracking down and purchasing rare E-Bodies.  The searching, hunting, decoding and learning about all the rare and cool options is all part of the fun of owning a mopar muscle car.  While there might be reproduction VIN tags out there that are done legally, it's best to know what you are looking at before you buy it.  Recently @MMC Detroit  on his facebook site shared some great photos of VIN tags in hopes to help educate the public.  MMC Detroit (David Wise) is a fantastic resource and offers a tremendous amount of help and guidance to new buyers.  Check out his website and these photos he shared:

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/

Here's his facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/MMC-Detroit-137411623090816

BIGSHCLUNK

I remember once some years ago a buddy of mine had a line on a small quantity of rosette style rivets. Hhmmmm what could you do with that....

303 Mopar

Can someone break down what the differences are, and what to look for?  I even have my glasses on and some I see but others I don't.   :rubeyes:

anlauto

The only difference I see is that the "non-original" one looks like it was stamped with newer dies that had less wear on them and stamped harder. I guess Chrysler at the time never change their die stamps  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

anlauto

Excellent close up pictures...I think the type of metal used in the non-original might be different too :takepicture:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

pink aar

You can tell the difference between them easily. Look at the repo (fat letters ) Original  ( thin letters ).    My original is not pretty. I guess I'll repaint it , put a new logo on it and let it go.

GY3R/T

Font isn't even the same.... Compare the B's, the S's, the 3's.... ok everything..

wldgtx

Good stuff Cody, I always shake my head when I see cars with obvious reattached vin tags, wrong rivets, etc.
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

Morty426

Plumcrazzy

I have a few correct rivets from years and years ago.

king dragon

My LA built car has the tag held down with stainless rivets like the 1967 cars. I have a very close attention to detail I'll I don't think anyone could say this tag was ever removed. Trust me I've gone over this for hours in the garage with both sides of the dash 3 inches from my nose. I don't have Facebook but I'd like Davids take on this.

RUNCHARGER

That font is really bad. I have no problem with an original tag that has been painted over.
Sheldon

Morty426

Quote from: king dragon on April 17, 2018, 06:46:15 PM
My LA built car has the tag held down with stainless rivets like the 1967 cars. I have a very close attention to detail I'll I don't think anyone could say this tag was ever removed. Trust me I've gone over this for hours in the garage with both sides of the dash 3 inches from my nose. I don't have Facebook but I'd like Davids take on this.

Those look original but they are not stainless.  Just rivets with the paint flaked off

pink aar