Main Menu

Challenger R/T SE Fender Tag Replacement / How Do I Code My Cars Options ?

Started by 3.0CSL, March 19, 2020, 12:55:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

3.0CSL

Hi all. Fender tag is missing on my 70 R/T SE, no Broadcast sheet either, so I need the codes for the options that I can see are fitted to the car.
Door decal gives its build date as Feb 70.

Options I can see are
Air con - PAS - Power disc brakes - 383 Magnum - Auto gear box - FC-7 Plum Crazy paint - Black vinle roof
Tinted glass - all 4 power windows - stereo 8 track - 3 speaker dash - fender trims - bumper over riders - waist belt trims - Interior light group - Luggage rack -

RUNCHARGER

Just my opinion but if the tag and sheet are missing I wouldn't get a tag made as you really have no proof that it would be correct. I know what you mean to have one to match the options. I would just take lots of pre-restoration photographs to keep with the car. Anyway, that's just my opinion.
Sheldon

SgtSuperbird

Do you have a vendor that will reproduce your tag? If you haven't contacted anyone (legitimate), you may save yourself some time and energy. Within the last year, I was looking to purchase a very rare late model Mopar, however, the fender tag was missing, as was the broadcast sheet. Although the dash plate was present, as was all the unique items on the car, they would not create one for me. This was merely my experience. I'd make a call or two.

anlauto

Without the BCS or knowledge of the original VON, you will not be able to reproduce an accurate reproduction fender tag.
AG Backeast will make any "fun" tag for you, but you'll have to tell them your intentions up front.

I had them make this tag for me...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ratroaster

You don't need one.....only 1 original fender tag unless you are trying to add to the value of the car then..... ::)

jamesroney

OK, I'll play...

I'm not here to judge your motives.  I assume that you are trying to reproduce your original fender tag as part of your restoration.  Fine.  As Alan said, the VON is the one that is the most difficult.
Also, the SPD will take some analysis, but you can figure it out.

Need to know a few things before we get started.  It's been 50 years since your car came off the assembly line.  Things get added, or changed. 

1. need to know the VIN.
2. need to know the axle ratio.
3. need to know whether it was equipped with CA emissions.
4. need to know whether it is a column or floor shift.
5. need to know if it has a leather or vinyl seat...and what color.
6. need to know how many outside mirrors, and what color.
7. need to know if it has a 26 inch radiator core support.
What is PAS?

Check the left side inner fender apron near the screw that holds the air conditioning hose.  there will be two 1/8 inch holes for the fender tag.  Is there a 3rd 1/8 inch hole about 3-1/2 inches farther back? 

I'll start with line 1.  That's the easy one.

E63 D32 JS29 N0? xxxxxx

BS23N0E

3.0CSL

Il get a closer shot tomorrow.

Vin is JS29NOB 259866

Built Feb 70.  Sold new to New Jersey

R/T SE 383 Magnum auto. Plum Crazy with a black vinle roof.

Options that I can see on the car ( Over it's SE spec )  Are  Air con, pas, power disc brakes, tinted glass, all 4 electric windows, 3 speaker dash, radio 8 track, belt mouldings, magnum 500 wheels, bumper over riders, fender trims, interior light group, luggage rack.
Not yet sure re the rear end ratio and if it's a Sure Grip.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

76orangewagon

Y 09...69-70 model year ...Built to specs for Export.
this would also add a "E" before your vehicle build number, this does not mean your car ever left the country, it means it was ordered outside the U.S. Mine was ordered by a U.S Serviceman and delivered stateside. The "E" would also be on the fender Data tag along with an "I" for International sales.
There should also be a light blue decal on the door hinge support if the car.

3.0CSL

jamesroney

OK, we have something to start with...

I have attached a picture here of my 1970 Los Angeles built tag.  I put my tape measure in the pic for reference.  As you can see, my car has a screw (and corresponding hole) at the 1.5 inch mark, the 2-1/4 mark, and the 5-3.8 mark.  There is also a dimple at the 8-1/2 mark. (no hole)

Since I do not see a hole at the 8-1/2 mark on your inner apron...it is fair to conclude that yours is a "one-tag" car.  That makes things better.

Please note that your car is a VIN code B, built in Hamtramck.  Most of my research has been 1970 VIN code E, built in LA.  There are subtle differences.  What I can tell you is that the single digit "I" shown in the picture above is a 1971 artifact, and I've never seen one on a 1970.

I don't know what evidence exists for the "export" designation, and I don't know what body feature coincides with "export."
BS23N0E

anlauto

Yes the 1971 tag shown above would be different then your 1970 tag. Your VON number would likely still start with an E in line two, but there would not be the letter "I" on the tag. Your tag would also have the YO9 in the top row. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Hopefully you're starting to see why the tag will never be right.
Sheldon