Main Menu

Challenger R/T SE Fender Tag Replacement / How Do I Code My Cars Options ?

Started by 3.0CSL, March 19, 2020, 12:55:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

3.0CSL

We aren't too fussed if it isn't 100% right.

So how do we de code the options that are fitted to this car ??

We freed off the drivers side rear brake drum today. We turned the passengers rear wheel clockwise and the drivers wheel turns,  so this car has a sure grip rear end.

JS29

If you hold one side, can you turn the other. Do both wheels turn in the same direction.  :alan2cents:

jamesroney

You are still a LONG way from knowing what codes go on your tag...

You haven't answered all my first 7 questions...and I still have about 23 remaining. 

Since we have determined that it is a one tag car, there is ONLY room for 6 + 6 + 5 + 6 = 23 possible codes above the bottom 2 baseline codes.

We don't have to fill them up..but we know the bounds.
We know it has AC, and power brakes.  and a console, and an antenna.
Sure Grip is not a code by itself.  But axle ratio with sure grip might indicate an Axle Package.

(remember to read them Left to Right, and from the bottom UP.)

xxx R11 V1X Y05 26 END
xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
V1X  Axx xxx xxx xxx xxx
FE5 H6X9 000 219 nnnnnn
E63 D32 JS29 NOB 259866

Will also likely have: Axx, B51, C16, J45, M21, M25, M31, M33, N41, N42,
You won't get N85, (tachometer) even though you have it...because it is a JS VIN.

More questions...
Is it painted red with black vinyl interior, black vinyl top, and black side stripe?
Does it have fender mounted turn signal lights?
Does it have all 4 molding groups M21, M25, M31, M33 (they often go together...)
Does it have hood pins?
Does it have the Music Master AM radio?
Luggage rack? 
Still need all the questions I asked before.

Why do we think that this is an Export car?

BS23N0E

anlauto

@jamesroney
There are some inconsistencies in your above post. The original poster already mentioned a lot of the options in his first post
Options I can see are
Air con - PAS - Power disc brakes - 383 Magnum - Auto gear box - FC-7 Plum Crazy paint - Black vinyl roof
Tinted glass - all 4 power windows - stereo 8 track - 3 speaker dash - fender trims - bumper over riders - waist belt trims - Interior light group - Luggage rack -

Note: a JS car would have N85 Tachometer on the tag in 1970
        JS cars with a rally hood would not have fender top turn signals even with A01
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

3.0CSL

Quote from: jamesroney on March 24, 2020, 01:51:46 PM
You are still a LONG way from knowing what codes go on your tag...

You haven't answered all my first 7 questions...and I still have about 23 remaining. 

Since we have determined that it is a one tag car, there is ONLY room for 6 + 6 + 5 + 6 = 23 possible codes above the bottom 2 baseline codes.

We don't have to fill them up..but we know the bounds.
We know it has AC, and power brakes.  and a console, and an antenna.
Sure Grip is not a code by itself.  But axle ratio with sure grip might indicate an Axle Package.

(remember to read them Left to Right, and from the bottom UP.)

xxx R11 V1X Y05 26 END
xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
V1X  Axx xxx xxx xxx xxx
FE5 H6X9 000 219 nnnnnn
E63 D32 JS29 NOB 259866

Will also likely have: Axx, B51, C16, J45, M21, M25, M31, M33, N41, N42,
You won't get N85, (tachometer) even though you have it...because it is a JS VIN.

More questions...
Is it painted red with black vinyl interior, black vinyl top, and black side stripe?
Does it have fender mounted turn signal lights?
Does it have all 4 molding groups M21, M25, M31, M33 (they often go together...)
Does it have hood pins?
Does it have the Music Master AM radio?
Luggage rack? 
Still need all the questions I asked before.

Why do we think that this is an Export car?

It's a Plum Crazy R/T SE 383 Magnum.
SEs had leather ( in the centre of the seat panels ) seat facings ( or cloth ) this car has a black leather trim.
No idea of the axle ratio.
It was sold new to New Jersey.
It crossed the pond to Blighty in early 71.
R/Ts didn't have a column shift it has a floor shift.

Katfish

Kudos to jamesroney for providing insight on this.
Interesting to see the puzzle coming together

JS29

C16= console, If not ordered with C16 with an automatic transmission, You got a column shift. All model's.  :alan2cents:

jamesroney

Quote from: jamesroney on March 24, 2020, 01:51:46 PM

xxx R11 V1X Y05 26 END
xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
V1X  Axx xxx xxx xxx xxx
FE5 H6X9 000 219 nnnnnn
E63 D32 JS29 NOB 259866

OK, so we know it's not FE5, but FC7 Plum Crazy.  Also gets a Tach (thanks Alan!)  some kind of light group  (A01)and an AM-8 track. (R22) Power windows (P31)

Updated:

P31 R22 V1X Y05 26 END
xxx xxx xxx N41 N42 N85
H51 xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
V1X  A01 Axx xxx B51 C16
FC7 H6X9 000 219 nnnnnn
E63 D32 JS29 NOB 259866

Still need an axle code, mirrors, and moldings and I'm not sure about that luggage rack.

Does the car have holes in the door edge for body side molding?

BS23N0E

jamesroney

Quote from: anlauto on March 24, 2020, 02:01:15 PM
@jamesroney
There are some inconsistencies in your above post. The original poster already mentioned a lot of the options in his first post
Options I can see are
Air con - PAS - Power disc brakes - 383 Magnum - Auto gear box - FC-7 Plum Crazy paint - Black vinyl roof
Tinted glass - all 4 power windows - stereo 8 track - 3 speaker dash - fender trims - bumper over riders - waist belt trims - Interior light group - Luggage rack -

Note: a JS car would have N85 Tachometer on the tag in 1970
        JS cars with a rally hood would not have fender top turn signals even with A01

Thanks Alan,
Very polite way of providing feedback above.  "inconsistencies"  (especially when we both know that I was totally wrong...)
James.
BS23N0E

jamesroney

Quote from: 3.0CSL on March 24, 2020, 12:54:16 PM
We aren't too fussed if it isn't 100% right.

So how do we de code the options that are fitted to this car ??

We freed off the drivers side rear brake drum today. We turned the passengers rear wheel clockwise and the drivers wheel turns,  so this car has a sure grip rear end.

Well, if the axle will turn, and if it has a sure grip...then rotate the axle 1 turn, and count the number of turns on the driveshaft yoke.

It will either be (about) less than 3, 3-1/4, or 3-1/2, or almost 4.
BS23N0E

benlavigne

If it has a radio, PS and a remote-controled LH mirror, it probably has A04 Basic Radio Group...
Dual rear speakers (Does it have a hole for the fader next to the heater controls?), often seen with an AM FM stereo, would be R31

Need to be careful, as some codes would appear at some point in production cycle, and not at another... Only an expert like Dan or Barry could confirm if it has it's place or not according to SPB...
But it could be fun to get this tag together for fun, but it would need something on it to confirm it's a ''fantasy'' tag...

Ben

3.0CSL

I forgot to say that it has a drivers chrome door mirror with remote. The passengers door has been changed many years ago, but it too has the same mirror. Not sure if it's a remote one, as the door card panel is missing.

These codes are so complicated 🙈

JS29

jamesroney

We are getting there...

Get to add the G33 for the LH chrome Mirror.
get to add A62 for the rallye dash
get to add A63 for the SE trim
noticed that it's a Hamtramck single tag...so its not END, but EN1
and if it's an SE, then it won't be black vinyl H6X9...but could be HRX9.

P31 R22 V1X Y05 26 EN1
xxx xxx xxx N41 N42 N85
C16 G33 H51 xxx xxx xxx 
V1X  A01 Axx A62 A63 B51
FC7 HRX9 000 219 nnnnnn
E63 D32 JS29 NOB 259866

Standard or deluxe seat belts?
Do you have a 6 way adjustable driver's seat?
Do we have an axle ratio?
Do you know the color of the RT stripe?
Can you confirm body side molding, sill molding, and belt molding, lower valance molding?  You might still get M25 or M31
BS23N0E

3.0CSL

It has belt mouldings and the front valance moulding.

Il look re adjustable seats and de luxe seat belts tomorrow.

We had a quick look the other day, but couldn't see the tag on the diff for the ratio, will look again tomorrow.

No side stripe as it has  Challenger on the fenders.
                                      R/T

Not sure if it had a stripe on the rear end ( It would have done if I had bought it new !! ) will sand some paint off to see if any trace of a stripe. 

No body side mouldings, will check if holes are there for a sill moulding.