Main Menu

Fender tag concerns

Started by jeffrt1970, August 12, 2018, 03:22:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jeffrt1970

Hi everyone ive had some people telling me my car has a fake fender tag because it has the j54 code on for the sport hood but the vin on the tag is matching to the tranny engine and dashboard vin and the build sheet  so why why would people say it fake any thoughts on this.

1 Wild R/T

As I posted in your other thread I've had a couple R/T's coded J54 it's not a problem..... The V8X is wrong but it could be a typo.....  If someone were making a fake tag it would have been coded as FE5 with lots of rare/cool options.... I think your fine....

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  The V8X is the code that is making someone think there might be an issue.  @6bblgt  might have a thought on this, but I'm thinking it would be a typo.  Do you have any more close up photos?  maybe a photo of the back of the tag?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 12, 2018, 03:36:44 PM
:iagree:  The V8X is the code that is making someone think there might be an issue.  @6bblgt  might have a thought on this, but I'm thinking it would be a typo.  Do you have any more close up photos?  maybe a photo of the back of the tag?

He's got a broadcast sheet.... That should trump a fender tag.... Unless it's fake too....   :pokeeye: :Stirring: :rofl:

jeffrt1970

Here is the back of my tag

jeffrt1970

Here my build sheet

Cuda Cody

Build Sheets trumps all fender tags, always.  10 times more info and much harder fake.  :yes:  Your sheet pretty much is all you need to back up the tag.   :banana:

6bblgt

in my OPINION, that's a reproduction fender tag with an ERROR - V8X

once the J54 - "sport hood" became an OPTION on Barracuda & Gran Coupe, the code started showing up (almost randomly?) on fender tags.  there have been a few theories WHY? but none seem to be accurate 100%  the "sport hood" was never a stand alone purchasable OPTION on Challenger.

@jeffrt1970 can you post a larger clear pic of the stripe section of the b'cast sheet (include top row of "C" codes if possible)?

jeffrt1970

Here closer look to the build sheet

anlauto

Looks like V5X.....not sure why people don't think mistakes can be made on original tags ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

at this point I believe the b'cast sheet shows it's V6_ & an unknown color code

another light source, backlit, scanned or some other method may produce a visible "color" digit

how much metal work has been done in the past on this R/T, rust has claimed many original fender tags

Katfish

So what's a V8X or V5X? No idea what the issue is........

anlauto

Quote from: Katfish on August 13, 2018, 03:21:41 AM
So what's a V8X or V5X? No idea what the issue is........

V8X is the tape stripe across the back like on a 70 Road Runner or Duster, not available on a Challenger.

V5X is body side moldings

A Challenger would have V9? or V6? or V98
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Dan, so you think some one years ago (based on condition) made a reproduction tag for a basic green 383 RT and didn't change anything, but made a error on the stripe code?

You believe that over the fact that maybe it was a mistake from the factory ?

jeffrt1970

so what do you guy imply that its a reproduciton fendar tag with and error on it or something else cause to my knowledge the build sheet does not really lie