Main Menu

FENDER TAG ORIGINAL ?

Started by B54SPEED, August 11, 2017, 12:38:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

B54SPEED

Would be my 1st E-BODY
looking for confirmation that its the original tags

anlauto

I think so, but I've been proven wrong before. How about it @6bblgt ...what do you think Dan ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

It looks original to me as well. The bent corner looks correct. But with some time and samples anything can be forged. Unless you have something that makes you believe otherwise like something fishy with the car or seller I would say your fine.

The ones below are for sure originals.

6bblgt

the information is appropriate and IMO they appear to be original tags  :ohyeah:

B54SPEED

WOW ! That didn't take long thanks guys !

Cuda Cody

Original.  :yes:  The J0B gives it away.  See how the "J" is stamped much crisper then the "0" and "B"?  They stamped so many different letters that each letter would wear down at a different rate.  The "J"s on that day were crisp, the "0" and "B"s were rounded a bit.  The reproduction tags mostly have clean newer stamped letters because they do not stamp millions of fender tags.   :alan2cents:

Shane Kelley

Good eye!  Learned something new today.

RzeroB

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 11, 2017, 01:17:20 PM
Original.  :yes:  The J0B gives it away.  See how the "J" is stamped much crisper then the "0" and "B"?  They stamped so many different letters that each letter would wear down at a different rate.  The "J"s on that day were crisp, the "0" and "B"s were rounded a bit.  The reproduction tags mostly have clean newer stamped letters because they do not stamp millions of fender tags.   :alan2cents:

That's some quality insight right there!  :bigthumb:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Cuda Cody

And welcome to the site @B54SPEED    :welcome: 

Here's a photo of my original TA tags compared to the reproduction I had made.  Reproductions are very nice and I use them on my cars so I do not lose the originals.  See how the original on the right has clean crisp "J"s stamped and the "82" is wore out.  The reproduction on the left is all clean and crisp.  That's what makes me think your are original.  Hope that helps.   :bigthumb: 

B54SPEED

double thanks  for the confirmation on the original tags  and showing me how and why seems plain as day when
you lay them out side by side  :thankyou: :bigthumb:

Cuda Cody

So what's the story on the car?  Are you thinking of buying it?

HP_Cuda

The other dead giveaway is the ridges on the top and bottom. The reproductions have a definite edge to them all the way across whereas the originals have imperfections and are not as thick.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

B54SPEED

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 11, 2017, 07:49:14 PM
So what's the story on the car?  Are you thinking of buying it?
Hoping by this time next week she will be in the back of the trailer heading for PA to WI  :fingerscrossed:

Cuda Cody

That sounds promising!   :banana:  Please post some photos if you do end up with it.   :takepicture:   :bigthumb:

Quote from: B54SPEED on August 12, 2017, 06:23:29 PM

Hoping by this time next week she will be in the back of the trailer heading for PA to WI  :fingerscrossed:

B54SPEED

Can you tell the build date by the fender tag or build sheet ?
If so as long as the block is cast prior to the build date of the car
and the pan rail numbers look good is a guy safe thinking its the original block?