Main Menu

Fender tag protection system

Started by CudaMoparRay, August 22, 2017, 11:51:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaMoparRay

Don't know if this has been discussed before but here it goes.
What about installing a door/alarm pin switch under the fender tag so when at car shows or the like some low life trying to remove it sets off the car alarm.
Usually, just removing one screw would trigger it hopefully leaving enough time to prevent the complete removal and aiming attention at the culprit.

Cuda Cody

The easiest thing I've found to do is have a duplicate fender tag made.  It's cheap insurance and if someone steals it you still have the original.   :alan2cents:

303 Mopar

:iagree:  If someone really wants it, they will ultimately take it.  Just remove them or make a dup.

Burdar

Just replace the regular screws with a machine screw with a lock nut on the bottom side.  Someone who steels a fender tag at a car show needs to do it very quickly.  A lock nut on the bottom will be next to impossible to access quickly.  :alan2cents:

Cudino

I make copies of all my tags, and keep my originals at home.  However, there's always the fellow who comes up to me at a car show and points out that the tags on my car aren't originals, and I'll have to explain it.  But at Spring Fling I saw a couple guys with a new idea.  They had made color copies of their tags and had the copies laminated, then mounted the laminated copy onto their car.  Not a bad idea!

- Wade

61K T/A

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 22, 2017, 12:06:43 PM
The easiest thing I've found to do is have a duplicate fender tag made.  It's cheap insurance and if someone steals it you still have the original.   :alan2cents:

Yep, And the laughs on them! But I would like to catch  them in the act.

A.Gramz

Tamper proof screws.  Would have to come prepared with special tools.  There are many different types but here's an example

http://www.tamperproof.com/products/tri_wing/

HP_Cuda

An explosive charge set underneath would work but might not work for your ride.

:rofl:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

JH27N0B

I'm of the opinion that if you take a fender tag off for safekeeping, it is far more likely to get lost than it is to get stolen off a car while at a show.
That being said, replacing a screw with a small bolt and nut would be an excellent safeguard as it would deter most would be thiefs.
How many tags have actually been stolen over the years?  You always hear 3rd or 4th hand stories, but I can't imagine too many actually have been stolen at shows.  Far more have been lost while cars were at restoration shops and body shops.
I worry more about waking up in a bathtub full of ice in a hotel room and finding my kidney was stolen than I worry about my tags disappearing at a show!  :haha:

Katfish

I wonder that too, what value is there really?

autoxcuda

Just rivet one of the screw holes.

Or tack weld the tip of the fender tag screw from the inner fender side.

It's really that simple.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

RUNCHARGER

I usually run a dupe on the car and keep the original at home. You can use one rivet to secure it too but that would require drilling a larger than stock hole for the rivet.
Sheldon

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: JH27N0B on August 22, 2017, 05:44:25 PM
I'm of the opinion that if you take a fender tag off for safekeeping, it is far more likely to get lost than it is to get stolen off a car while at a show.
That being said, replacing a screw with a small bolt and nut would be an excellent safeguard as it would deter most would be thiefs.
How many tags have actually been stolen over the years?  You always hear 3rd or 4th hand stories, but I can't imagine too many actually have been stolen at shows.  Far more have been lost while cars were at restoration shops and body shops.
I worry more about waking up in a bathtub full of ice in a hotel room and finding my kidney was stolen than I worry about my tags disappearing at a show!  :haha:

You have a very valid point in that my car came without a fender tag and the original owner said he put it away for safe keeping but has never found it.

PLUM72

Unless you have a big dollar Hemi, 440/6 car, fender tag theft shouldn't be a concern.  More of a concern would be driving it to the show and having someone run a stop sign and wreck the car!

Anyway...besides tamper proof screws, get those at Mc Master Carr, Rivets were a good suggestion.   You could also put a BIG dollop of silicone under the tag and its not going anywhere.  If someone is going to take a tag or anything for that matter it has to happen fast.  Typically there are too many people around in order for that to happen.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

Brads70

Quote from: Burdar on August 22, 2017, 12:35:31 PM
Just replace the regular screws with a machine screw with a lock nut on the bottom side.  Someone who steels a fender tag at a car show needs to do it very quickly.  A lock nut on the bottom will be next to impossible to access quickly.  :alan2cents:

This is what I did.....