Main Menu

Fender Tag Screws

Started by Rbob, November 05, 2020, 04:43:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rbob

I thought mine were original, they are 2 different types so not sure now. 

Is there a correct one?

Morty426

The one you have in the middle looks correct.  The outers are incorrect.

Remember they bent the tags upwards, around the middle screw (on a two tag car), for paint coverage.  Then secured it with an unpainted screw. 

SgtSuperbird

I just looked at mine. Again, I believe it to be untouched, but...?

SgtSuperbird

Here's the other side:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rbob

Yes interesting for sure, SgtSuperbird has what looks to be original, button head screw in the middle and washer head on one side, not both ends. 

Mine were painted screws even before I sprayed DP40 on the apron around 1985.  The vin tag did not have orange paint underneath it when I removed it, so painted in place seems logical. 

Cuda Cody

Screws?  Look at that tag!!!   :wowzers:  Now that's a cool car.  :inlove:   :lookatthat: 

anlauto

I've never seen that type of screw used, but you have to imagine if they ran out of one type and had another handy, it's not like they're going to stop the production line...it's not like robots were installing these things :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

Carefully remove the screws and see if there is paint on the apron.
:takepicture:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70/6chall

The screws holding my fender tag on are the originals. Reason for both being painted is because at one point of doing some detailing under the hood I painted the unpainted screw.  Thanks,   Al

70vert

I'm sure everyone knows this, but just to avoid any confusion with the title. VIN tags are attached with rivets to the dash pad. What you are asking about is the Fender Tag and is attached with screws.  :bigthumb:

Rbob

Fixed it.  I know better too.