Main Menu

I googled it with no answers found, so I'll ask...

Started by Jocigar, August 08, 2017, 07:23:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

what does it mean when there is an astric * at the end of dash pad vin tag?

Spikedog08

Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Jocigar

correction, * on both sides.

*BH27------123*

thanks

303 Mopar

'71-74 had an * at the beginning and the end of the VIN on the tag.

Cuda Cody

I think it was a year thing.  I would have to look, but if I recall it was around 1971 when they started using the asterisks on the dash VIN numbers. 

Cudino

Right, the asterisks on either side of the dash tag VIN# started in model-year 1971.  But note that the very early '71 cars still got the '70-style, non-asterisk tags.  The new format was phased in sometime during the September-October 1970 timeframe.

- Wade

303 Mopar

Quote from: Jocigar on August 08, 2017, 08:01:05 AM

correction, * on both sides.

*BH27------123*

thanks

Here is the VIN tag from my '71 that had a build date of October 1970.

Shane Kelley

Mine has a build date of 10/12/70.

1 Wild R/T

I read something about it being federally mandated to make VIN tampering more difficult.... GM Ford even Porsche did it... Hasn't helped... :haha:

About 7 years ago a friend was involved in the sale of a very collectable Porsche (73 RSR)... A potential buyer questioned the numbers matching engine claim do to the lack of asterisks at either end of the stamped VIN.. The owner was adamant that the engine was original but in the end took a reduced price to satisfy the buyer... Cause lets face it numbers are all about the Benjamins.... Three months later the buyer had it up for sale again..... And of course it was claimed to be 100% numbers matching...

Jocigar

Thanks all that explains it.   sorry to ask, never noticed it before.  My 70 doesn't have it, so thought I would ask.

Cudino

Thanks for the great question Jocigar, and great info from everyone.  Probably someone with much more info that me could narrow this switchover date/VIN# even further, but here's the VIN tag from my early 1971 Challenger with SPD August 29th (1970), before the asterisks were started.  And I should add that I am only referring to VIN tags from the Hamtramck plant.

- Wade

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Don't be sorry.  It was a great question.  And even if it wasn't a great question, we would still try to answer it.  We're all pretty friendly and happy to help.  I learn something new from this site all the time.

Quote from: Jocigar on August 08, 2017, 11:39:03 AM

sorry to ask, never noticed it before. 

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 08, 2017, 01:03:12 PM
Don't be sorry.  It was a great question.  And even if it wasn't a great question, we would still try to answer it.  We're all pretty friendly and happy to help.  I learn something new from this site all the time.

Quote from: Jocigar on August 08, 2017, 11:39:03 AM

sorry to ask, never noticed it before. 

:iagree:  I just learned this a couple of weeks ago, and I even owned a '71 and '70 and never noticed.   :Thud:

benlavigne

August 29th SPD on mine, too, no asterisks!

Ben