Main Menu

IBM Punch Cards

Started by Cuda Cody, March 07, 2017, 08:42:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Are these the same IBM Punch cards that were used on E-Bodies?  @cudaized  or @6bblgt  have you guys seen any original IBM Punch Cards?

[ebay]401286830903[/ebay]

[ebay]401286600790[/ebay]

[ebay]162421121247[/ebay]

HP_Cuda

Yep those are punch cards alright.

I don't know how you would know if it was specifically for ebodies unless there was some designation on them as well.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Burdar

Here's mine.  The BS sheet in the car is for a Cuda but the punch cards are for my car.

cudaized

1971 `cuda383 convertible

1971 Barracuda convertible
1970 `cuda340 convertible 4-speed Rallye Red with Red interior cudaized.com 1970-71 Plymouth and Dodge E-Body Convertible Registry ebodyconvertibleregistry.com

Cuda Cody

Thanks guys!  When I saw those IBM punch cards come up on ebay I thought they didn't look right.   :notsure:  But there not even close to the ones Mopar used on E-Bodies. 

I've never seen a punch card in person.  They have to be one of the rarest documents you can find in a E-Body.   :cool:

6bblgt

those appear to be the same physical size, but as shown above the ones used at Chrysler would have Chrysler specific printed info on them

btw - I can decode these  8) by 1970 they have limited info on them  :thumbdown:

Cuda Cody

That's some seriously wizard level stuff right there!   :worship:

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 07, 2017, 10:36:47 AM
btw - I can decode these  8) by 1970 they have limited info on them  :thumbdown:

cudaized

That is why Dan is a great asset to our hobby.

:perfect10:
1970 `cuda340 convertible 4-speed Rallye Red with Red interior cudaized.com 1970-71 Plymouth and Dodge E-Body Convertible Registry ebodyconvertibleregistry.com

6bblgt

the above "formal black" w/green buckets, 318 Barracuda convertible - was SOLD new at Feister Auto Sales (Westland, MI / Wayne county)

looks like they are still in business - but no longer have a Chrysler-Plymouth franchise

Aar1064

How do you get these cards? Were they supposed to be in car or can you acquire them in other ways?

6bblgt

it appears an IBM card was included with the paperwork a dealership received for a car
they were supposed to be returned to Chrysler as part of the "quality control" inspection procedure by the dealership

FCA has photocopies available of their microfiche IBM card records for model years 1967 & earlier - NONE for the E-body years  :Thud:
here's a '64 sample - more info on the '67 & earlier IBM cards - you must prove ownership to purchase a copy

Burdar

I'm not 100% sure where I found mine.  I want to say they were under the carpet since they are a little dirty.  Dad replaced the carpet in the 80s though.  I doubt he would have left them there when he installed it.  They don't have seat spring stains.  Everything else in the owners manual sleeve is pristine so I don't think the cards were in there either.  Any chance they were found up in the headliner?  Maybe they just spent their life in the glove box...loose and not in the owners manual sleeve.  That could explain then being dirty.

Daveh

I remember way back in high school math class spending an entire semester working out problems that corresponded to the punch cards and then at the end of the semester we ended up with a 6 inch stack of those things.  Then we had to drive to another school to have their monster computer spit out what the stack of cards said.  After all of that it said the name of my high school.  What a PIA.

Kinda of reminded me of the Christmas Story where Ralphie got his decoder ring and it ended up saying drink more Ovaltine.  What a let down. 

fc7cuda

Quote from: Aar1064 on March 07, 2017, 12:03:41 PM
Were they supposed to be in car or can you acquire them in other ways?

I've found them under the carpeting and in with the glove box owners manual.  For my 67 I got a copy from Chrysler Historical.  I think it was $35.00.

Cuda Cody

:worship: :clapping: :worship: :clapping: :worship: :clapping: :worship:  That is truly impressive!!!!     :bravo:

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 07, 2017, 11:49:38 AM
the above "formal black" w/green buckets, 318 Barracuda convertible - was SOLD new at Feister Auto Sales (Westland, MI / Wayne county)

looks like they are still in business - but no longer have a Chrysler-Plymouth franchise