Main Menu

L34 question

Started by cuda hunter, May 13, 2020, 09:39:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Did all AAR's come with L34 code? 

If they did all come with L34's installed, (road lamps) would it have been on the fender tag? 
Or is there an A code that would correspond with the L34's?

thanks
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Chryco Psycho

Alll AARs come with road lamps as part of the pkg , I have not seen the code separately on the tag which is somewhat odd as J45 is on the tag & all AARs had to have hood pins

cuda hunter

None of the aar package's have road lamps listed either.

How did the assembly line guys know to put the road lamps on the aar's?

I've looked through all the job tags I have as well as the build sheets and none of them have L34.  I figured for sure they would be on the build sheets but, nope.   
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

for 1970 L34 - "ROAD lamps" were STANDARD on all 'cudas (BS23 & BS27) - so every "BS" car (AARs included) received the firewall piercing for the "ROAD lamp" wiring

mid-year "ROAD lamps" became an OPTION on Barracuda (BH) & Gran Coupe (BP)

for 1971 L34 - "ROAD lamps" were OPTIONAL on Barracuda (BH), Gran Coupe (BP) & 'cuda (BS)

cuda hunter

So how were the cars with L34 option distinguished for the line workers after early 70?
Is there a place on the build sheet? 
I see 31 and 35.

YYZ

Also IIRC cars destined for PA were not permitted to have the road lamps. (And was it PA and CT that forbade rear window louvres?)

Though I'm not sure how the factory handled those — whether it was a road lamp delete, or whether the region dictated the specs, just as cars destined for California got the N95 emissions package

Chryco Psycho

possibly the dealer would have removed the lamps & dropped them in the trunk

cuda hunter

huh, lots of unknowns on the L34's. 

If it wasn't listed on the build sheet, there must have been a separate sheet that noted road lamps. 
First I've heard of this situation.  A fella over on febo mentioned it and it peaked my curiosity. 

MoparCarGuy

I have read a few of the threads on the presence or lack of the L34 code on 1970 `Cuda (BS) fender tags. I would like to see original 1970 BS fender tags with or without the L34 on the tag so we could narrow down the date that L34 began appearing on the tags. L34 started showing up sometime in early-1970 even though this was standard on `Cudas. Earliest BS fender tag I have found with L34 has an SPD of 512 (May 12, 1970).

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site , cool info too  :bigthumb:

MoparCarGuy

Still looking for more fender tags to narrow down when the L34 code began appearing on 1970 `Cudas. L34 was standard on BS models but started appearing on the fender tags in May 1970.
Based on my limited collection of fender tag images, the code was not on tags with an SPD of 511 or earlier. First tag I have with the L34 code has an SPD of 512.

ply64post

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 13, 2020, 10:46:29 PM
for 1970 L34 - "ROAD lamps" were STANDARD on all 'cudas (BS23 & BS27) - so every "BS" car (AARs included) received the firewall piercing for the "ROAD lamp" wiring

mid-year "ROAD lamps" became an OPTION on Barracuda (BH) & Gran Coupe (BP)

for 1971 L34 - "ROAD lamps" were OPTIONAL on Barracuda (BH), Gran Coupe (BP) & 'cuda (BS)

6bblgt

Where on the firewall is the piercing?? Picture??

Jeff   

6bblgt

there's a thread with a number of labeled firewall & other pics

https://forum.e-bodies.org/reference-material/18/e-body-hole-locations-firewall-door-interior-ect/303/

I don't know if there are any variations based on year or combination of OPTIONs  :dunno:

ply64post

6bblgt

Thank You

Jeff

6bblgt

there is also going to be a range of dates when "L34" shows up (or is missing) on a broadcast sheet and/or fender tag
"IF" a memo/instruction/other was posted on Friday 5/8/70, that stated: starting with Monday's 5/11/70 production "L34" needed to be coded on the BS and/or FT
***** cars built EARLY (with post 511 SPDs) won't be coded & cars built LATE (with pre 511 SPDs) will be coded

https://forum.e-bodies.org/vin-fender-tag-build-sheet-and-date-codes/13/actual-production-date-vs-scheduled-production-date/810/