Main Menu

LA built cars and build sheets?

Started by Voodoo Child, July 11, 2017, 05:05:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Voodoo Child

I've noticed a lot of the LA. built car owners state, No build sheet! Why? Lifelong Chevy guy so I'm learning the Mopar facts as I go.

anlauto

They cleaned the cars out better during assembly. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Voodoo Child

I thought the build sheets got put into the back seats? Hence the spring mark's?

Cuda Cody

Yes, it's uncommon to find a build sheet in an LA built vehicle.  Hamtramck cars are very likely to have at least one sheet and sometimes multiple sheets.  We think it was a way to discard something that was no longer needed and considered trash.  Putting them in the seats, taped to the radio, taped to the back of the glovebox, under the carpet or anywhere else they have been found was just an easy way to discard them.  The LA factory did not build nearly as many cars and might have had a better system to discard the sheets.

Voodoo Child

Thanks guy's, that clears up a lot. Mine is a LA built car and would of liked to have the build sheet. Not that it's anything special but an early build car.

Cuda Cody

Build Sheet or not, they are are special cars.   :yes:

70/6chall

Cody and Alan, are correct on thier observations of discarded build sheets in LA built cars. EC_CO and myself as well, both own LA built cars, the LA plant had some kind of anti-trash program going on at the time. My '70 Challenger was built on the first day of regular production and EC_CO's '70 Barracuda was built a couple of days after mine. Both of us have not found any build sheets in our cars, you would think that on the first few days of assy. line production thier awareness of this program would be paramount and the workers would adhere to this program astringently, maybe things on the line would've become more lax during the year run, don't know. But any way this is why LA built cars are known for NO build sheets.     Thanks,   Al

autoxcuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 11, 2017, 06:13:20 PM
Yes, it's uncommon to find a build sheet in an LA built vehicle.  Hamtramck cars are very likely to have at least one sheet and sometimes multiple sheets.  We think it was a way to discard something that was no longer needed and considered trash.  Putting them in the seats, taped to the radio, taped to the back of the glovebox, under the carpet or anywhere else they have been found was just an easy way to discard them.  The LA factory did not build nearly as many cars and might have had a better system to discard the sheets.

That's the way I've heard it too. All plants were supposed to get rid of trash. And LA adhered or interpreted the no trash rule different that others.

My friend did a power train resto and general cleanup on a low mile 69 Dart 340 Swinger. No buildsheet in any of the typical places....until he pulled the rubber floor covering (no carpet car). Then bingo ! A buildsheet between the rubber covering and the floor pans.

Never seen a buildsheet under a carpet or flooring on a Mopar at the other plants. Have other of you seen one there on non LA -Mopars?

I believe sheet under carpets is typically a GM and Ford thing??
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Cuda Cody

I've seen an LA sheet pulled from a seat back and a couple from under the carpet.  Under the carpet seems to be more common on LA cars compared to any other place.  Behind the seats (front or rear) is where I find most Hamtramck build sheets.

ec_co

like 70 /6Chall said with one exception - I did find a build sheet in the back seat of mine, but it was for a white/blue /6 Barracuda @ 300 down the line from mine
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Voodoo Child

Quote from: 70/6chall on July 11, 2017, 07:54:18 PM
Cody and Alan, are correct on thier observations of discarded build sheets in LA built cars. EC_CO and myself as well, both own LA built cars, the LA plant had some kind of anti-trash program going on at the time. My '70 Challenger was built on the first day of regular production and EC_CO's '70 Barracuda was built a couple of days after mine. Both of us have not found any build sheets in our cars, you would think that on the first few days of assy. line production thier awareness of this program would be paramount and the workers would adhere to this program astringently, maybe things on the line would've become more lax during the year run, don't know. But any way this is why LA built cars are known for NO build sheets.     Thanks,   Al
Nice  :bigthumb: How early of a build, August I'm assuming? Mine is September 69.

70/6chall

Voodoo child, SL6 Chall here, my SBD is Monday, Aug.18,1969, #113 off LA's assy. line. According to what I've found out LA's single assy. line started building the new for '70 Dodge Challenger and the Plymouth Barracuda and other various Chrysler cars in between for regular production purchase on that Monday, so first day issue cars started here. Not discounting PreProduction cars which were built starting Aug.01,1969 with VIN 100001.   Thanks,   Al

ec_co

Quote from: Voodoo Child on July 12, 2017, 11:27:13 AM
Quote from: 70/6chall on July 11, 2017, 07:54:18 PM
Nice  :bigthumb: How early of a build, August I'm assuming? Mine is September 69.

both are end of Aug builds, 1st week off the LA line. Al's is JH23C0E100113 and mine is BH23C0E100322. the one I found the buildsheet for was somewhere around BH23C0E100622
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came