Main Menu

LA car, lost hope for documentation?

Started by Blake@diyhemi.com, March 30, 2017, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Blake@diyhemi.com

Ok, so I've had my car for 4 years now and realize it's nothing special, but I would love to know more about its history.

It's a special order, 318 Gran coupe with power windows, power steering, AC and 2 tone black and gold interior. She was also an FY4 car, built in Los Angeles.

Is there any way I could use the fender tag to help track down more on her history? I know LA broadcast sheets are very rare, so I may be SOL.

From what I learned so far, the guy I bought the car from purchased it in 1988 at a dealer in Abiline, TX. I have one report of a lady owning it prior to that in San Antonio and there are remnants of a community college parking decal on the rear window.

I know it's not really worth the hunt for documentation, but it would be great to have. Any tips from you pros?

BP23:
Plymouth Barracuda
Unknown
2 Door Hardtop

GOE: Unknown
Unknown
Los Angeles, CA, USA

109548:Sequence number

E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
FY4:  Exterior Color
P6XY: Trim - Premium, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Gold/Black
000: Full Door Panels
A02: Build Date: October 02
113070:Order number

FY4:  Top Color
C26: Consolette w/Formed Headlining
C55: Bucket Seats
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings

M31: Belt Moldings
P31: Power Windows
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
Y14: Sold Car
26: 26in Radiator
END: End of Sales Codes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

RUNCHARGER

I like the P31 myself, that's got neat options for a 318 car. I don't think you can do much more for docs unless you can hook up with a previous owner that saved something (unlikely). Nothing wrong with having the original fender tag anyway.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Original fender tag is a HUGE deal!  You know there are a ton of people that would give up a finger to have an original fender tag for their car.  AND you have a true High Impact color with a super rare option of Power Windows.  Power windows was like a $100 option back in the day.  That's about half what a 440+6 pack option was.  Not cheap!  And you have AC!!!!  I dig it.  Cool car.   :bradsthumb:

Plus, don't use your finger to cover up VINs.  There's special software to see through it.   :haha:  Your VIN is 1092XX (I'll not say the last two in public).    ;)

Cuda Cody

Of course I'm only joking about seeing through it.  The Build Date on your tag gave it away.   :bigthumb:

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 30, 2017, 10:17:28 PM
Plus, don't use your finger to cover up VINs.  There's special software to see through it.

6bblgt

what's it look like now & what are your plans for it?

it was ordered by a customer or by a dealership outside of California, but it is NOT special ordered - "special order" usually refers to OPTIONS or equipment not available on a specific car or model.   a non-STANDARD (last year's or C-body ONLY) paint color is the most common "special order".

as you know, most of it is typical for a Gran Coupe: (1970 US specs.)
BP23 (V8) = 7,109
with -
S77 ~87%
R11 ~77%
E44 ~70%
D31 ~67%
H51 ~40%
not so typical -  8)
NO vinyl top ~32%
NO console ~25%
P31 ~5.4% (384 cars)
FY4 ~4.1% (291 cars)
P6XY ~3.0% (213 cars)

71GranCoupe

Very cool ride, nicely equipped and the small font on the fender tag that was on "some" of the LA cars, just awesome.  :cheers:

6bblgt

Plus, don't use your finger to cover up VINs.  There's special software to see through it.   :haha:  Your VIN is 1092XX (I'll not say the last two in public).    ;)

but you missed - he listed it in his decode -  :console:  :cheers:

Cuda Cody

:haha: :haha: :haha:   :Thud:  You are right...    :Thud:  Totally over looked that he put it he posted it above in the sequence.   Thanks for the help.   :console:  You're the master of numbers for a reason.   :bigthumb:

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 30, 2017, 10:36:08 PM

but you missed - he listed it in his decode -  :console:  :cheers:

6bblgt

& the '70 ONLY non-"HI-IMPACT" FY4 - Citron Mist Metallic" looks great on a Plymouth!!

Cuda Cody

FY1, FY4,   :looney:  I really screwed those up didn't I.    :crazytalk: 

I think I'm taking you next time I look at a car.  Nothing gets by you!   :worship:

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 30, 2017, 10:44:31 PM
& the '70 ONLY non-"HI-IMPACT" FY4 - Citron Mist Metallic" looks great on a Plymouth!!

6bblgt

this 440 6bbl 'cuda was ordered from the same dealership  :thinking: now I just need to figure out which one  :looney:

cataclysm80

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 30, 2017, 11:15:55 PM
this 440 6bbl 'cuda was ordered from the same dealership  :thinking: now I just need to figure out which one  :looney:

Now you're getting somewhere.   Maybe the original dealership would have some paperwork. 

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 30, 2017, 10:44:31 PM

This is a beauty! The 70 Plymouth Satellite/roadrunner/GTX is next on my list of cars to own! And yep, the FY4 looks great here. I often wonder why no AARs are known to exist in this color. That FY1 on organisol looks great.

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: cataclysm80 on March 31, 2017, 01:23:47 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on March 30, 2017, 11:15:55 PM

Now you're getting somewhere.   Maybe the original dealership would have some paperwork.

Is the VON the indicator for the car being ordered by the same dealership?  You have me intrigued!

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 30, 2017, 10:20:02 PM
Of course I'm only joking about seeing through it.  The Build Date on your tag gave it away.   :bigthumb:

Plus, don't use your finger to cover up VINs.  There's special software to see through it.

It's not a big deal to me, it's an old picture from when first acquired. I also typed it in the decode above hehe, was wondering if someone would catch it!

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com