Main Menu

NON-A66 1970 Challenger 340?

Started by benlavigne, September 23, 2018, 06:02:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

benlavigne

I am looking at this car, but some of the codes on this (obviously new) tag have me wondering... The owner says he has a build sheet to confirm equipment.
First of all, I assumed it would have A66, since it has the Sport hood and 340... but no A66 on tag.
I understand the 340 could be had without A66, but was the J54 Sport hood also available on a base Challenger? V9X Bumble Bee stripe? (Disregard the longitudinal R/T stripe that was added), V21 Hood decal?
Some litterature shows A36 Performance Axle package available with the 340, other, only with 383 and up...
Once I see the build sheet, I'm hoping it will show A66 and that it was left out by the person doing the repro tag!
Thoughts?

Ben

Cuda Cody

Post the tag and sheet when you can and @6bblgt  will be the best person to help you with it.

1 Wild R/T

In 70 as far as I'm aware 340 was always A66 & it should be on the tag and sheet....

@6bblgt

benlavigne

Ooops forgot to attach the picture! I blanked out part of the seq. number out of respect to the owner...
The T/A spoiler and rear antenna are also obviously ''personalized'' touches...

Ben

benlavigne

Got the sheet, Looks like they ran out of space for A codes, with 01,04,36,44 and 45! Could A66 be on another line?
EDIT: Just saw a section at bottom with space for extra codes, including A66! So it's probably been overlooked when doing the repro tag...
Sheet looks legit, can't make out all the codes because of low-res picture...

Ben

6bblgt

is this the car that was at the Mopar Nat's for sale? ..... someone commented about it not having A66 on the tag

6bblgt

Quote from: benlavigne on September 23, 2018, 06:02:41 PM
I am looking at this car, but some of the codes on this (obviously new) tag have me wondering... The owner says he has a build sheet to confirm equipment.
First of all, I assumed it would have A66, since it has the Sport hood and 340... but no A66 on tag.
I understand the 340 could be had without A66, but was the J54 Sport hood also available on a base Challenger? V9X Bumble Bee stripe? (Disregard the longitudinal R/T stripe that was added), V21 Hood decal?
Some litterature shows A36 Performance Axle package available with the 340, other, only with 383 and up...
Once I see the build sheet, I'm hoping it will show A66 and that it was left out by the person doing the repro tag!
Thoughts?

Ben

all 1970 Challengers with a 340 are either A53 (340 3x2bbls) or A66 (340 4bbl)

J54 was never a stand-alone OPTION on Challenger 1970 - 1974

V9X was STANDARD on Challenger w/A66 & OPTIONAL on Challenger R/T at no-cost

the axle packages were added as "available" w/A66 shortly after A66's introduction

WOW!!  :wowzers: WOW!!

6bblgt

8)
a quick look thru the above b'cast sheet shows

a '70 Challenger hardtop (JH23) CANADA spec. "dealer demo" with 33 extra cost OPTIONs totaling almost $2,000 US$ (& it doesn't have A/C, a sunroof, or a HEMI)  :Thud:

:cool: I don't think I know of another '70 Challenger (R/Ts, HEMI included) that has $2,000 worth or 33 OPTIONs  :cooldance: ANYBODY??  BUELLER??

by comparison: my R/T has 19 OPTIONs totaling just over $1,300 & I thought it was "well OPTIONED"

benlavigne

I wonder why a dealer would order a demo that late in the model year instead of waiting for the 71's?

Ben

anlauto

So Dan, what are your thoughts on the tags ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

benlavigne

Quote from: anlauto on September 24, 2018, 03:21:06 PM
So Dan, what are your thoughts on the tags ?

The tags are obviously repops, missing A62 and A66...
I wonder if G11 Tinted Glass and Y13 Dealer Demo could also be on the tags?

Ben

6bblgt

Quote from: benlavigne on September 24, 2018, 02:01:38 PM
I wonder why a dealer would order a demo that late in the model year instead of waiting for the 71's?

Ben

dealers usually drove or used "demos" for a given number of months (3 or 6?) or miles (3,000 or 6,000?) & the would sell the car as "slightly used" with the remaining warranty.  If the dealership got this car by early June it would be around for 3+ months before the first '71s would arrive.

QuoteSo Dan, what are your thoughts on the tags ?

as has been stated "reproduction" & I'll add "with ERROR(s)"

does the current owner have a claim/story about the original tags?

benlavigne

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 26, 2018, 01:26:58 PM
Quote from: benlavigne on September 24, 2018, 02:01:38 PM

Ben

dealers usually drove or used "demos" for a given number of months (3 or 6?) or miles (3,000 or 6,000?) & the would sell the car as "slightly used" with the remaining warranty.  If the dealership got this car by early June it would be around for 3+ months before the first '71s would arrive.

QuoteSo Dan, what are your thoughts on the tags ?

as has been stated "reproduction" & I'll add "with ERROR(s)"

does the current owner have a claim/story about the original tags?

It is a local car from new, current owner has just bought it for the third time... It has been sold as a project a couple of times in various stages, so the original fender tags might have stayed with a previous owner. I think there is also a copy of the dealer invoice somewhere, I'll share if I see it.
So Dan, do you think G11 and Y13 should also be on the tags?

Ben

benlavigne

Well... The car is mine, now, worked out a trade with my 71 R/T!  :veryexcited:

I'll start a new thread on it as soon as I get it home, and start worrking on documenting it as much as possible, going through past owners, etc...

Ben

Cuda Cody

:congrats:  Congratulations!!!    :banana:  Very exciting time.   :banana:   :woohoo: