Main Menu

Options Not On The Fender Tag

Started by Marc1, September 30, 2020, 01:54:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marc1

Folks,

Can anyone direct me to where I can find out what options may have been installed at the factory but do not appear on the fender tags? For example, power steering (S77) is one I know of, but I am looking for a definitive list if such a thing exists. My main interest is for the 1970 / 71 Cuda but the information may well be generic across the Dodge / Plymouth car lines.

Thanks,

Marc
Gone but not forgotten:
1970 Chevelle SS454 LS6
1970 GTO Judge RAIV
1968 GTO
1968 GS400
2011 Shelby GT500

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cuda Cody

It changes throughout the year. Some options were added to the fender tag later in the year that would not show up on an earlier built car. And the 2 different manufacturing plants used different ways to lay out the fender tags. So a code on a LA built e body might not be on the exact same car built by Hamtramk. And in 1971 they started adding more codes to the fender tag that would not have been on the exact same car if it was built in 1970. So that is why you see more 2 fender tag ebodies in 1971.

Burdar

While I'm sure there are exceptions, what it boils down to is that the fender tag was for the "body shop" while the bodies were being assembled.  Other areas of the factory had paper build sheets.  Generally, only the codes that required "body" modifications were put on the fender tags.  The radio code was on the fender tag because the body shop needed to know if the fender(or 1/4 panel) needed an antenna hole in it.  The "light package" was listed on the tag because the fenders needed holes for the turn signal lights exc...  :alan2cents:

Marc1

Ok thanks for the responses so far. The body shop rule of thumb will be helpful. As another example, I guess using the body shop rule, the "Go Wing" A45 (full) / J81 (rear only) should appear on the fender tags then?

I am trying to find a nice, mostly untouched, clean car but the proliferation of added options is pretty high i.e. Shakers added etc. Also some of the tags differ so far from the option load I am guessing the car's pedigree is pretty dodgy.

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 Chevelle SS454 LS6
1970 GTO Judge RAIV
1968 GTO
1968 GS400
2011 Shelby GT500