Main Menu

Scheduled Build Date vs Engine Casting Date

Started by kent_goins, July 15, 2017, 02:31:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kent_goins

Hello all:
I have to rehash a bit of old news...got a piece of information a couple weeks ago from Cody that said he thought my car was built sometime in May of 1970 due to the VIN number being very close to one of his LA build cars. Since I do not have a fender tag and am trying to piece the tag information together (Its an LA car...no build sheet), I would like to put the Schedule Build Date issue to rest.

I have heard from another "reputable" source in the industry that the engine block casting date was very close behind the car's scheduled build date. The date on the side of my matching number 440 RB block is: 8-15-69. Can anyone say with certainty that engine blocks were cast shortly before the schedule build date of the car? If so, how close in time?

Any comments welcome :)

KG

Crash520

My 73 Cuda was made 18th Dec 1972, the engine was built on the 12th December 1972, my block casting date was 27th Sept 1972

Thats according to the fender tag, build sheets, engine ID number etc, hope that helps some

Greg
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Cuda Cody

It varied from engine to engine based on the size of the engine.  More common engines they would cast more of and have them ready all the time, then some engines they would cast 6 months to a year before they used them.  Late 1970 440+6 cars are known for having castings that are up to a year in front of the car being built.  But sometimes you'll find engines that are cast less then a month before.

So the bottom line is the engine is not going to get you very close on your scheduled build date.

1 Wild R/T

And sometimes the engine is assembled after the SPD...  :rofl: 

Ok, in all seriousness... My vert has a SPD of A13... (Oct 13th 1969)   The engine was cast 10-23 & assembled 10-27..... The the axle 3rd member was assembled 10/27 & the axle assembly was built 10/28.....  Clearly my car wasn't built on the scheduled day, it was late..... But it was still built in October as the door sticker showed 10-69

750-h2

My numbers matching 1968 Hemi Charger with a Jan/68 SBD had a block with a 10/10 1966 casting date.

RUNCHARGER

Within 3 months seems acceptable for wedge engines. Hemis are a little different due to their rare nature. I have had a few 71 Hemi engines cast in 68 which is not a rare occurrence.
Sheldon

kent_goins