Main Menu

VIN decoding

Started by dturnlund, April 29, 2020, 12:43:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dturnlund

OK folks,
I have a puzzler for (Me) anyway.
Most sources say that Dodge made 16,437 Challengers for the 1974 model year, but mine has a VIN of 16,823.
Any thughts?

anlauto

The VIN dash numbers were given to ALL cars made in the same assembly plant. Hamtramck made more then just Challengers in 1974 :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RzeroB

In '74 BOTH Challengers AND Barracudas along with Darts, Dusters and Valiants  were being made at the Hamtramck plant. The VINs issued by the Hamtramck production office would include ALL models being made at the plant.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

anlauto

Welcome to the best E Body website in the WORLD ! :grouphug:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

:welcome: From central New York! Some cars went through in groups, like AAR's and T/A's. They would run down the assembly line one in front of the other, then maybe a duster or dart. and that was how they would number them.  :cheers:

6bblgt

:iagree: if your VIN is JH23?4B116823 you have a relatively early 1974 Challenger built in September 1973

as stated above you have the 16,823rd "assigned VIN" from HAMTRAMCK for the 1974 model year - HAMTRAMCK assigned up to ~4B524509 (424,509 vehicles) by the end of the model year