Main Menu

VIN sequential number

Started by Msbaugh440, September 05, 2021, 02:07:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Msbaugh440

Is it possible to lookup just the last 6 digits of a 70 challenger VIN number to find out what the original full VIN was? For example: if I found a 70 challenger and the dash was missing, there was no door sticker, no broadcast sheet, and no fender tag, would I ever be able to know what this car originally was (engine, price class)? I'm asking because a lot of cars may not have anything but a matching cowl and core support stamp. Curious if a DMV or insurance company can look that kind of thing up to make sure it's not stolen or see what the full VIN originally might have been. I suppose you could try to search all of a 40+ possible VIN sequences and see if anything showed up, but would this be a waste of time? Not sure if records like that even exist for back in 1970.

Are these particular cars lost causes from a titling/registration standpoint? Could you get a reproduced dash VIN matching the cowl VIN or is that illegal? Just use a different VIN from a parted out 70 challenger and advertise it as not numbers matching if you ever tried to sell? Or is it best to just part the car out? Not sure what is legal and what isn't.

To be VERY clear, I have no ill intent or desire to misrepresent any particular car. I'm just curious if it's worth the effort to start from this state with a planned non-numbers matching, pro-touring type build. There would be no claim or desire to retain original condition in any form or fashion.

6bblgt

the UTAH DMV would have answers to most of your legality questions

you can narrow down some of your questions based on what's left of the carcass - got pics?
what's missing VS. what's still there - why did it become a tagless "potential" project: former parts car, wreck, other?

there is no all inclusive database that mere mortals can access to determine what the original VIN was based on the cowl stamping
I have a database based on lost & found,  paperwork, shows, ads, etc. with ~10% of the 1970 Challenger VINs on it - longshot, post or PM the partial VIN & I'll see if I have anything

Msbaugh440

No problem, thanks for the offer. The partial VIN is: 0E137263. LA plant 70 challenger

6bblgt

how clear is that stamping?  0E137263 should be a Barracuda

a friend used to own JH23G0E137297

Msbaugh440

What makes you think it's a barracuda? It's definitely a Challenger. The OE137263 is how it would read on the VIN. The stamping are EO 137263, in the attached pictures they clearly used an I for the 1 and the 6 looks more like an upside down 9

Msbaugh440

I'm planning a crazy non-stock pro touring build. Bought the car and am working on stripping the body down. Bought it because the body was super solid and rust free. Planning for a hellcat or maybe a stroker big block type build after some serious modification. No intention of leaving it stock or representing it as such, so not trying to fool anyone on what the car really is. Plan on driving it for the next 40 years and bought something undesirable so I could do what I wanted with it without messing up a good stock car. I know it was originally a manual from the z-bar bracket on the frame but I bought it as a shell and don't have anything else on it. It came with a non-numbers matching /6 dash and VIN and a clear and good title believe it or not, so I wasn't worried at the time about stampings, but got curious and wanted to ask before I really starting dumping money into it.

Filthy Filbert

You could try doing VIN searches at DMVs across the country and see what comes up.   If they will release that information to you without a court order.

Beyond that, what you can do...well...Here in Ohio, what I can do, is after the build is complete, take it to the DMV and have them perform a vehicle inspection for a small fee, then if it checks out (that it's actually a vehicle and not something dumb like a motorized couch or whatever, and that it's not a stripped stolen car or built from stolen parts) You can get a state issued VIN for it which allows you to register it and drive it on the public roadways.