Main Menu

171 Master cylinder

Started by xx88man, February 03, 2018, 07:55:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

What do you guys think this 171 Master cylinder is worth? It would likely need a rebuild. I'm thinking of selling
Keep yer foot in it

Brads70

anlauto

He actually contacted me last week on it.....I don't need any more TODAY....but I would buy if it was cheap.....which it's not :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

xx88man

Quote from: anlauto on February 03, 2018, 08:49:36 AM
He actually contacted me last week on it.....I don't need any more TODAY....but I would buy if it was cheap.....which it's not :bigmoney:

Ya I was surfing for info on what this piece is worth and I found a post from a while ago on another forum with Alan offering $ for these.... Anyways I figured I would post it here on WIW to see how much you all think it is worth.

For those that don't know, this is a correct master cylinder for a 1970 E-body with power disc brakes (non-Hemi)
Keep yer foot in it

RUNCHARGER

A friend of mine may be interested. BTT for you.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

Is that date code 9 300?  That's a good one, 300th day of '69. 
I'd estimate $400 to as much as $600 for a nice core with a good date code.

xx88man

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 03, 2018, 07:19:25 PM
Is that date code 9 300?  That's a good one, 300th day of '69. 
I'd estimate $400 to as much as $600 for a nice core with a good date code.

Thanks JH27....that's what I figured too. This piece is tentatively SOLD! Awaiting payment
Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 03, 2018, 06:56:21 PM

Sorry Sheldon, I had a few guys contact me first and one of them wanted it.
Keep yer foot in it

anlauto

Quote from: xx88man on February 04, 2018, 10:17:05 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 03, 2018, 06:56:21 PM

Sorry Sheldon, I had a few guys contact me first and one of them wanted it.

I told you a lot of people are looking for them....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

That didn't take long! Good parts don't last.
Sheldon

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

340challconvert

That is a hard master cylinder to find, especially if you need date code specific.
They have been selling for top dollar for awhile!  :bigmoney:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

340challconvert

When I started restoring the braking system on my 1970 A66 Challenger vert, I found the 171 "thermometer" brake master.  The date code came out as 5---050. 
I'm thinking   :thinking: that the brake master on my car was changed on or around 1975 when the original failed.  Looks like an original 171 unit with a later date code.

JH27N0B

Yes a '75 date code.  But unless you are doing an OE gold level restoration, who cares!  It's a real 9171 and that's the important thing.
Latest date code I've seen on those is '77.  The newest ones had "MADE IN CANADA" stamped in the side which screwed it up!  :haha:

340challconvert

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 06, 2018, 01:53:56 PM
Yes a '75 date code.  But unless you are doing an OE gold level restoration, who cares!  It's a real 9171 and that's the important thing.
Latest date code I've seen on those is '77.  The newest ones had "MADE IN CANADA" stamped in the side which screwed it up!  :haha:
JH27, I'm with you on this. The 171 master was made for about 8 years with the later ones made until about 1977. There were a lot of them around for a while because as they were replaced, the 171 units were resold as rebuilds. I have heard of individuals getting lucky at swap meets and finding a new or rebuilt unit on the cheap. Tougher to do the last few years.
I am not so date code correct crazy. Building my A66 vert as a driver to be enjoyed.