Main Menu

171 Master Cylinders

Started by ply64post, July 09, 2018, 05:41:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ply64post

I am trying to get ready for Carlisle and was going through parts and found 2-2229171 70 E-Body disc brake master cylinders.One is a good core, bore seems to be nice and the other one is in the box.Was wondering what a fair price would be on each one.I can bring them to Carlisle.       :bigthumb:

Jeff

Jay Bee

You obviously know you've got the Holy Grail there. The "other one" in the box - do you mean N.O.S.? Anyway, here's what the Ram Man is currently selling his rebuilt ones for.
http://therammaninc.com/products/shop_view/MOPAR-2229171-DISC-MASTER-CYLINDER-ORIGINAL-REBUILT-352?cid=355

anlauto

I've been paying $400-$500 for cores needing rebuilding, thankfully I don't need anymore right now.....They will be an easy sell at Carlisle.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ply64post

Tried to load some pictures,used attach but doesn't seem to want to load them.      :thinking:
The Raybestos box  doesn't have new or rebuild on the box.So not sure new or rebuilt.

ply64post

Quote from: ply64post on July 11, 2018, 09:42:42 AM
Tried to load some pictures,used attach but doesn't seem to want to load them.      :thinking:
The Raybestos box  doesn't have new or rebuild on the box.So not sure new or rebuilt.
Think I got it.     New or rebuilt?????

ply64post

Used core.

mo6pak

i have been looking for one for my T/A, If you are willing to ship, i would be interested in one? Thanks, Ely.

Jay Bee

Quote from: ply64post on July 11, 2018, 11:00:04 AM
New or rebuilt?????
Now that's the question, how can you tell which it is. Either way, it's got to be around $900.00 IMHO.

Fastmark

Where is the best place to get these sleeved and rebuilt with the proper pistons? I've got a couple laying around that need to get done. What does it cost as well? I've still have two NOS ones but the date codes are from  1975. I want to put my original one back on my AAR.

Jay Bee

The Ram Man is one place. I heard he's a bit pricey but, also, that he does great work. Bonus for you that he's in Texas too. Sorry, no idea what it would cost. Hopefully someone else will chime in with other suggestions.
http://therammaninc.com/

Floyd

For the new/rebuilt one, got a pic of the front "thermometer"?  I think the mass-market rebuilders machine a small dimple in the front as part of the rebuild.

As for rebuilding, I used Brake and Equipment Warehouse in MN and they were great.  I have multiple friends who also report good service.  They are definitely aware of the 171s and what's needed for resto.  I personally had a poor service from Whitepost and will not go back.

http://brakeandequipment.com/machine-shop/

Fastmark

Won't use ram man. Too many bad stories. Have not looked at the front. I bought these from the dealer in the early 80's when Mopar was dumping parts to restructure from bankruptcy. Gave 25 bucks apiece for 4 of them. I lost one before I could get them from the parts man because the guy had to sell one to a customer that came in the shop for a Fury or some big car! Oh well.

Floyd

Echo Fastmark's comment on the Ram Man.  Be wary with that one.