Main Menu

1969 383 Fastback

Started by js27, August 21, 2022, 08:15:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

Opinions needed. My friend has a 69 Barracuda Fastback. She thinking of selling and would like to know what a FAIR price would be. Here is all the info I know. Her mother bought the car new and she inherited it after both parents passed. One repaint 30 years ago in original color. Quarter were patched and are now bubbling up. She has two new AMD quarter for the car. She also has a NOS stripe for it as they painted the black stripe on when they did the repaint and left the 383 car out off. Matching numbers motor and trans with no modifications. Black interior with a console automatic.  Seat have some tears in them. Engine compartment was painted black at some point and the fender tag was lost. She does not know if the broadcast sheet is in the car or not. All gauges work but car has not been driven in 6 years. Brakes may need some work. Car is garage kept. All chrome and trim is present. Car looks good from 5 feet away. I took this photo in my driveway back in the 90's when she drove it to local shows and was a member of our Mopar Club. It would be a great candidate for a ground up show resto or you could just do some TLC and drive her. I personally told her I feel as it sits $15-25,000. I Have restored B and E bodies but no A bodies since the 80's so not sure what they are going for completely restored or cost of A-body parts now.

Thanks
JS27

autoxcuda

Fender tag is a big hurt.

So this is and original 383 Barracuda Formula S?

The vin should read:

"BH29P8B100001." "B" indicates Barracuda; "H" indicates price class, high; "29" indicates 2-door sports hardtop (fastback), ("23": 2-door hardtop, "27": 2-door convertible); "P" indicates engine displacement, 340; ("H": 383); "8" indicates model year, 1968; "B" indicates plant code, Hamtramck, Michigan; "100001" indicates sequence number

You need to physically verify the VIN is on the motor and trans. Don't assume anything. That will really help without the fender tag

Next you need to look for the buildsheet. Should add $3-4K and really help speed up the sale even at this condition/price point.

Without a fender tag AND no buildsheet AND not proving number motor and trans it's for sure a sub $20K car. With those, it might get over $20K.

Sounds like car was in rust belt and old rust repairs are showing through even though been always garaged since once restored. I'm sure when blown apart, they'll find more than just the 1/4's.

Done, the fender tag will hold it back, but buildsheet will extremely help.

Without tag and sheet, restored it would be tough to get over $50K for it.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

js27

Yep it is a legit car and all original motor & trans parts are there.. I have known it for over 30 years. She is going to look for the build sheet. I also explained to her about the hidden rust that will no doubt be there.
Thanks JS27

autoxcuda

Quote from: js27 on August 22, 2022, 08:36:15 AM
Yep it is a legit car and all original motor & trans parts are there.. I have known it for over 30 years. She is going to look for the build sheet. I also explained to her about the hidden rust that will no doubt be there.
Thanks JS27

Without tag or buildsheet the vin is the same for Formula S 383 or 'Cuda 383 (the one with dual hood scoops and stripes). I realize with the ownership history, it's a Formula S. But it's just other thing you have to explain with a car.

So you've seen the numbers on the pan rail and transmission bellhousing? Car was around 24 years before you were acquainted with it.

She needs pictures of engine & trans stampings. Even radiator support and trunk lip as proof. Doesn't mean she has to put them in the advertisement. Or even give them out to prospective buyers. But when someone physically looks at car, she will have the upper hand.

Because it's missing a tag every buyer will be leveraging that to negotiate the price down whether they tell you or not. And there are shady buyers that will recognize she hasn't physically seen the numbers or have pictures and then lie to her that they are incorrect/missing. But if she has pictures, that discussion is stopped before it even gets started.

Does she have old pictures of the car? Or original window sticker? Those early docs will help this car more than average.

I not sure if fastbacks can have the buildsheet behind the upper fold down seat or not. That would require someone pulling trim and panel off.

I apologize that I'm harping over minutia. But these thing can swing a car like this $3K-$4K plus and weed out lame buyers. Even though it's an inheritance, I think she entitled to all of it's possible value.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...