Main Menu

1970 Challenger Convertible - Opinions on price

Started by erik70rt, November 01, 2017, 06:17:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

As most of you know, I am looking to get a 1970 Challenger convertible.  This one looks interesting, but to me seems a little high on the price for what it is.  What do you all think?

http://www.hanksters.com/1970-Dodge-Challenger/Used-AmericanMuscleCar/Indiana-PA/9687116/Details.aspx

Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Finoke

Erik,
I'm going to say 70k would be a fair price if it's a nice resto and runs well. Or you can find a nice Chally vert for 40k and do the swap yourself for the additional 30k. BTW that car looks awesome!
Tom

erik70rt

Thanks, Tom.  I sent them an inquiry today.  I don't seem to find too many nice 70 'verts in the 40K range.  The purple one we discussed is a possibility, but it needs a lot of work.  There is also an orange one listed by Streetside Classics for around 50 w/ a 340.

Anyone else have an opinion?

anlauto

At first I thought it was a lot of money, but then I figured you couldn't really build it for that price.

Hopefully they started with a real solid rustfree car.....and put a quality motor in there...problem with buying any "done" car is that you really don't know how well it was done :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ec_co

Quote from: anlauto on November 02, 2017, 07:15:26 AM
At first I thought it was a lot of money, but then I figured you couldn't really build it for that price.

Hopefully they started with a real solid rustfree car.....and put a quality motor in there...problem with buying any "done" car is that you really don't know how well it was done :alan2cents:

unless it was a prior Gallant Resto  :drinkingbud:
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Finoke

Erik, is the car close enough to make a road trip to check it out?

erik70rt

It's out near Pittsburgh.  About a 5 hour ride from my house, so I can take a road trip.

Finoke

Quote from: erik70rt on November 03, 2017, 06:58:15 AM
It's out near Pittsburgh.  About a 5 hour ride from my house, so I can take a road trip.

Maybe worth doing

erik70rt

I talked to them over the weekend.  Restoration is about 5 years old and an "8 out of 10" on his scale.  They have had the car about a year and he said he wants to move the higher end cars.  I asked about suspension upgrades, rear etc. and he said he would get back to me as he was on the road and didn't want to give me false information. 

He also said he would be very interested in my Challenger as a trade, but not really interested in my Barracuda.  He would take it, but most likely not give me much for it.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

My initial thought was maybe 80 grand, but I would think it could go up or down based on how good or to what level the resto was done at.

fc7cuda

Quote from: Chaos-N-Mayhem on November 06, 2017, 06:42:48 AM
My initial thought was maybe 80 grand, but I would think it could go up or down based on how good or to what level the resto was done at.

:iagree: You really need to see it to know for sure, 5 hrs isn't that bad a driver with the right tunes of course.

Good luck with it.

Rich G.

I would think the car would have to be perfect for that price considering it's a clone. A repaint alone could add another 15K + to that price. Look underneath closely. Good luck.

erik70rt

Don't think a deal is going to happen for this one.  They offered 32K for my  70 Challenger on a trade, but only 18K for my 68 Barracuda convertible which is completely restored/rodded.  I know A body Barracudas don't bring as much, but 18 was way too low.

anlauto

Why not try and sell your cars privately and prove them wrong ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

erik70rt

Barracuda is already listed.  I'll keep the Challenger.  :cheers: