Main Menu

1970 Challenger R/T 440ci w/6-pack, shaker and 4-speed

Started by Robseg, August 22, 2018, 07:56:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Hopefully it ends up in the hands of someone who will do it justice.
Sheldon

Finoke

Awesome car. Original paperwork also helps with the value. Being it was your Dads car, do you have any original paperwork. Window sticker, order sheet or sales contract? Definitely a savable car unless the frame and floors look like the roof. As long as its not totally rotted, it can come back to life!  :banana:

TobiasM

Hello @Robseg and  :welcome: aboard from the old world.

Great car you have and a Dad with a good taste.

I am lucky enough to own a very similar car...so no wonder I like yours, too  :banana:

Your easiest way to find out what it's worth is to put it on ebay.

Value depends on how rusty the other spots of the car are, on the condition of the interiour and on the condition of the technical stuff: numbers-matching? Engine running or seized?

The rust-damage your car suffered at the roof alone is a major surgery...unfortunately.

Would you be so kind to supply some shots of your hoods underside? Would be very helpfull for this boards thread about Shaker-Challengers.  :cheers:

Morty426

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 23, 2018, 07:30:14 AM

THAT WOULD BE ME!   :veryexcited:

I live within 150 miles.

I have a tremendous amount of Challenger experience and all the ORIGINAL parts to do this car properly. 

I have the resources, means and desire.

I am trying to contact the OP so that I look at the car.

It also fits nicely into my Challenger collection. 

I don't sell cars so no worry about dealing with a flipper

Please contact me

fc7cuda

Chris, are you interested in the car? I can't tell.  :waving:

Best of luck.

Morty426

Quote from: fc7cuda on August 23, 2018, 06:30:19 PM
Chris, are you interested in the car? I can't tell.  :waving:

Best of luck.

Yes, very much and I think I am the sellers best bet for getting a fair price with the least amount of hassle. 

And thanks for the best wishes.  If I can make it happen I will share everything with this community and you'll see I will make the previous owner proud.

1 Wild R/T

Chris, I think you need to make Rob the same offer I made the man I brought my Challenger from....

I offered to let him drive it when I finished restoring it.....

And I did..... I tossed the keys to him & his wife..... He drove it around the block & said that was more than enough, he couldn't believe I would trust him with a car I'd put so much work & money into...... Wish I'd thought to snap a photo....

Morty426

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 23, 2018, 06:43:08 PM
Chris, I think you need to make Rob the same offer I made the man I brought my Challenger from....

I offered to let him drive it when I finished restoring it.....

And I did..... I tossed the keys to him & his wife..... He drove it around the block & said that was more than enough, he couldn't believe I would trust him with a car I'd put so much work & money into...... Wish I'd thought to snap a photo....

Randy,

I have no problem making that agreement.  I'm also willing to place this car in front of my FC7 Challenger R/T 440 sipack automatic that I was planning on restoring next. 

The owner can also come visit it if he wants and see my set up. 

Chris

RUNCHARGER

That would be so much better than seeing it passed between flippers on Ebay for a few years, with original parts perhaps being removed randomly as time passes.
Sheldon

Morty426

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 23, 2018, 08:26:00 PM
That would be so much better than seeing it passed between flippers on Ebay for a few years, with original parts perhaps being removed randomly as time passes.

I couldn't agree more.

As some of you know I also have a FK5 Shaker Sixpack Challenger.  The owner (of 17 years) had taken it half way apart and then placed the car on eBay.  I asked to see the car.  Went down to South San Francisco and made a deal.  He canceled the auction.  It took me two trips to SSF to get the car and all the parts.  The seller was happy and I was happy.  This way he did not waste his time with the potential of some 12 year old bidding on his car without money.  Or all the other monkey business that happens on eBay. 

The cool thing is that my car used to run around San Jose - this green car is in San Jose.  I think that's cool  8)

I reassembled my car and installed the motor the guy had put together for it.  I still need to finish the resto on my 71 Sixpack Challenger but I'll have that down before the end of the year. 

So the question is what will be next?   :handshake:

Robseg

Quote from: TobiasM on August 23, 2018, 02:45:57 PM
Hello @Robseg and  :welcome: aboard from the old world.

Great car you have and a Dad with a good taste.

I am lucky enough to own a very similar car...so no wonder I like yours, too  :banana:

Your easiest way to find out what it's worth is to put it on ebay.

Value depends on how rusty the other spots of the car are, on the condition of the interiour and on the condition of the technical stuff: numbers-matching? Engine running or seized?

The rust-damage your car suffered at the roof alone is a major surgery...unfortunately.

Would you be so kind to supply some shots of your hoods underside? Would be very helpfull for this boards thread about Shaker-Challengers.  :cheers:
I will try and take better pictures of the car. The engine hasn't ran in a long time. You know the old saying " it ran when parked" 😂 The car was parked because the guy that rebuilt the carbs got in to a fender bender. For the most part its unmolested.
Quote from: Morty426 on August 23, 2018, 03:39:22 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 23, 2018, 07:30:14 AM

THAT WOULD BE ME!   :veryexcited:

I live within 150 miles.

I have a tremendous amount of Challenger experience and all the ORIGINAL parts to do this car properly. 

I have the resources, means and desire.

I am trying to contact the OP so that I look at the car.

It also fits nicely into my Challenger collection. 

I don't sell cars so no worry about dealing with a flipper

Please contact me
I think what I need to do is get it out of the back and take better pictures of it before I comment. You definitely sound like a person that i would like it to go to, for what others have said about you. It would be close so i could see it when done.

Morty426

All Members,

I want to be totally above board here.  I PM'd the owner and he said he really wanted to established the value before he did anything.  I sent him a reply with my thoughts on the subject and then I decided wait a minute.  I have no reason to keep this portion private so I am going to share with you what I sent him and you guys call tell me if I am inline or smoking crack. 

Thanks
Chris aka Morty

What I sent:

OK I see no one has really answered your question so let me see if I can give a little window.  This car is a major project but that is OK if you know how to do these cars,.  Value is based on desirability, condition, documentation and what is missing. 

The base value on the car is probably $25,000 plus or minus with a good chances you will more pluses than minuses. 

Minuses - would be more rust than normal from water getting inside the car, frame rail damage from the accident, stuck or blown motor.

Pluses - completeness of the car, documentation, are the rare parts there, are the wheels there, so on.  These can add $10k to the car - maybe more. 

The only way to know is to look at the car to see what you got and what you don't got. 

Two things to keep in mind. 
1.  There is a 70 'cuda 440+6 in San Jose for sale for $35K that is apart but optioned the same other than Hemi Orange paint and no vinyl top.  However I am a Challenger guy
2.  The restoration of this car if you do most of the work yourself will run about $30,000 to $40,000.  Restored Sixpack Challengers  sell in the $75-85K range.  Cuda 440+6 in the 95K to 105K range.  So you restore a car only because you love the car, not to make money unless you like working for pennies. 

So I would to hear your thoughts

I hope this helped or was informative.

Thanks
Chris

Robseg

Quote from: Morty426 on August 23, 2018, 09:32:39 PM
All Members,

I want to be totally above board here.  I PM'd the owner and he said he really wanted to established the value before he did anything.  I sent him a reply with my thoughts on the subject and then I decided wait a minute.  I have no reason to keep this portion private so I am going to share with you what I sent him and you guys call tell me if I am inline or smoking crack. 

Thanks
Chris aka Morty

What I sent:

OK I see no one has really answered your question so let me see if I can give a little window.  This car is a major project but that is OK if you know how to do these cars,.  Value is based on desirability, condition, documentation and what is missing. 

The base value on the car is probably $25,000 plus or minus with a good chances you will more pluses than minuses. 

Minuses - would be more rust than normal from water getting inside the car, frame rail damage from the accident, stuck or blown motor.

Pluses - completeness of the car, documentation, are the rare parts there, are the wheels there, so on.  These can add $10k to the car - maybe more. 

The only way to know is to look at the car to see what you got and what you don't got. 

1.  There is a 70 'cuda 440+6 in San Jose for sale for $35K that is apart but optioned the same other than Hemi Orange paint and no vinyl top.  However I am a Challenger guy
2.  The restoration of this car if you do most of the work yourself will run about $30,000 to $40,000.  Restored Sixpack Challengers  sell in the $75-85K range.  Cuda 440+6 in the 95K to 105K range.  So you restore a car only because you love the car, not to make money unless you like working for pennies. 

Thanks
Chris

Thanks for the real talk. I what i need to do is get the car out in the open and figure out what it has. Its been sitting for a really long time. I dont want to sell it but need to be honest with myself. I have way too many cars and need to make a choice. I would rather finish my 67 Chevelle and dont want the car to rot anymore then it has. I work most weekend and need to set aside time to get it out. Thanks for all the help ill keep you guys posted. 

Shoooter

no this is a cool car. there are lots of great guys here that can save it!

fc7cuda

Quote from: Morty426 on August 23, 2018, 09:32:39 PM
All Members,

Thanks
Chris aka Morty

What I sent:

Thanks
Chris

I think this is a fair assessment of the car and of the situation as far as what's known thusfar.   The value comparison to the 70 Cuda is spot on and a good "comp" for comparing these two cars(although different models).

I encourage the OP to do what he feels is necessary and to share as many pics as he likes.  Getting that 67 Chevelle done too would be awesome!!

Living in Texas I've seen allot of really neat cars leave the state going elsewhere, and it's sad as they never return.  There's just something special about a car staying around it's area where it sold new.  It's surprising sometime folks who remember the car after 20, 30, etc years.  And the memories they have.   :alan2cents:

Tom
70 Cuda 440-6 since 1982
68 HemiCharger since 1981(original Dallas car)