Main Menu

1970 challenger SE

Started by Iowa Six Barrel, September 26, 2017, 07:35:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Iowa Six Barrel

Came across a guy in central Iowa who purchased this Challenger in GA in 2005. He still had the bill of sale and the ad listing the car (maybe Wheeler Dealer). Anyway he decided to sell it, kind of an on the spot call. It's basically just a roller with some misc parts. The "TA" hood is just a fiberglass hood he bought after thinking of making it a street / stripe car. There is no interior. No motor. No transmission. The cowl #, fender tag and radiator support # all match up. The original dash is gone (no VIN plate), but he did have a 70 SE dash with the car. There are some trim pieces. But the tag shows this as an SE 318 car but with a 4 speed. It was vit c orange with burnt orange leather seats. It also came with the overhead console. My gut said this is a rare combination so I went for it and bought it. The body is in good shape but needs floors. It's a full restoration, but looks like a good car for a full restoration. Any thoughts on rare or not rare? A value in its current roller condition? The last photo shows some work done, but it's when he quit in 2012 and put it into storage. Thanks for any input.

anlauto

With the proper paperwork you can get a new dash VIN tag made for it with the original VIN. Contact AG Backeast www.datatags.com  :alan2cents:

Being a 318  4 speed SE, it's a pretty rare car and worth putting it back to stock original, but fully restored it will never be worth more than upper $20's . and it will cost three times that to restore it. :bigmoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Get the the title then contact DataTags to get a correct dash VIN.  The car is rare, but rare does not always mean huge money in the end.  It's a fantastic color, 4 speed, SE and overall a very neat car.  I think you will have something that you can be very proud of when you are done.   :banana:  Nice find man!

6bblgt

GG's "white book" has '70 Challenger SE 318 w/4-speed: ~59 built, US spec. - the huge majority of which would NOT have A/C  :banana: pretty unique piece!!

anlauto

I think it would be a totally cool car restored back to 100% original....318 and all !
Too many unique rare cars like this just end up getting modified to the owner's liking because there's really not a lot of eend value :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

I don't ever recall seeing an S/E with out A console, No C16 on the fender tag.

Iowa Six Barrel

My friend shared that 59 with me also.  His gut feeling was that the color combination might even make the car 1 of a few. Maybe I should contact GG and look into it a little more. Thanks for sharing that number with me. It was a cool find. I was happy.

6bblgt

if you look at enough OPTIONS, just about every car is going to be one of one

an EK2 "go mango" Challenger SE is going to have one of three vinyl tops: black, white, gator & V1X "black" is going to be the most common

an EK2 "go mango" Challenger SE is going to have one of four interiors: black leather, burnt orange leather, black vinyl with black/white cloth insert  & burnt orange vinyl with burnt orange/black cloth insert - HRX9 "black leather" is going to be most popular

I'm surprised to only have three "go mango" SEs in my database - all have black vinyl tops & one each of: black leather, burnt orange leather  & burnt orange vinyl with burnt orange/black cloth insert

RUNCHARGER

It would be a cool car all stock. Being an SE though it would be a big PITA to restore properly as I'm sure every SE piece is missing. The missing VIN tag would really turn me off, if the seller thinks it's no big deal and it doesn't reflect in the price then he can get a new one for it before selling.
Sheldon

Iowa Six Barrel

Fortunately I have all the SE trim including SE rear window with trim. I have all the SE badging and the SE door panels.  The mylar door sticker, cowl number, fender tag and radiator support all match. I also have SE dash with AC just no VIN Plate. I also have title. I don't see getting a replacement VIN will be too much troube.

xx88man

WOW  :veryexcited:   I love this car and it looks like it was meant for you! Congrats....this is a REALLY cool car IMHO!
Keep yer foot in it

FlatlandTA

Sounds like some real value here. Very cool car,is SE pieces trim etc.hard to find? If that's all there bonus too. Good deal/project for someone especially if not terrible rusty.
I know how hard and frustrating finding trim and small hard to find or one year only pieces can be. Not to mention the cost of all that stuff is missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk