Main Menu

1970 Cuda & Challenger WIW

Started by Snowdog, May 22, 2024, 06:41:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Snowdog

Ok, well I think I maybe the original, "I'm gonna fix'em up some day" guy.  So due to health issues, basically old age and...lack of funds.  I have two E-Body,  1970 Challenger and 1970 Cuda.  Nothing special (Except to me) 383s originally, both 4 speeds, they've been in storage for the last 30 to 40 years.  The Cuda was the car I had in High School,  and the Challenger came shortly after.  They were both stored in enclosed garages of course.  So, I'd like to know what you guys think they're worth.  I'm in SE Michigan.  I've been on various Mopar sites under Snowdog or Snowdoggie for a while now, just in case you think I'm a scammer.  So, Just a little about my Mopar history,  I worked in Dodge Main, during the Volare and Aspen era.  My father retired from Jefferson Assembly after they shut down Dodge Main.   Also, I haven't posted much since I haven't done much work on either car, so if you're looking for recent posts from me there aren't going to be any.  So on to the cars, the Cuda is a 383, 4 speed, non rally dash, originally dark green metallic (F8?).  It still has the engine and trans in it.  No sheet or fender tag for the Cuda, but maybe buried in the parts.  The Challenger originally was a 383, 4 speed, rally dash, I think it was bronze color, later painted white to look like Vanishing Point, I did find the fender tag, if you're interested.  No engine, only parts of the engine (440),  trans is still there and most of the engine parts too.  Would like to sell as a package deal.  I also have extra parts, flat hoods, B body rear end, misc dash stuff, doors, etc, which I will probably try to sell beforehand or could toss in for the right deal.  So, if you can give me a SWAG on what you think they're worth, it would be appreciated.  Also, any other sites (Besides FBM & CL) you think would be good to post them on when selling let me know.  Anyways, this is my Mopar story, thank you for listening.

mtull

I'm sorry to see your selling your dream cars but hopefully someone will step-up and buy the lot.  You're cars are special to more folks than just you, I think there cool!  What info can you share with the forum regarding rust on both cars and options listed on the Challenger fender tag?  More info will help all who respond with opinion on price. 

Here's a few Challengers on Facebook that have been for sale for quite a while (hopefully you can get to the adds)
1970 Dodge challenger $8900
1970 Dodge challenger $5500

Snowdog

Ok, thanks.  The Challenger fender tag decoder sheet is just below the pics.  As far as rust goes,  there is nothing major that you can put your fist thru, aka like the floor board, trunk floor gone, they're all still there.  I'd say the rust is average:  the Challenger had the typical rust on the fenders at the headlight braces.  R/H full rear quarter panel was replaced when I had it, due rust bubbles starting the wheel lip.  Similar rust on the Cuda, I do have the hood and fender for.  Maybe, a better way to describe the rust situation is what I would replace.  Challenger:  Both fenders, possibly the inner fenders and new hood, just don't have a hood I like, I have flat hoods and a mid pro-stock hood, would prefer the RT style hood. The Cuda: Both fender should be replaced, the inner fender are new, have a good rally hood for it.  Sorry,  I don't have better description on the rust, but that's subjective and vary with everybody.  But, their not California cars for sure, but not as bad most E-body basket cases you see on FBM. 

mtull

Quote from: Snowdog on May 22, 2024, 11:59:28 AMThe Challenger fender tag decoder sheet is just below the pics

It may be just me but I don't see a pic of the decoded tag?

Snowdog

It's there, under the lower LH pic of the Cuda on the trailer.  Its not a pic, just scanned in PDF of the decoded fender tag, more like a link.  I can post a pic if needed.  Let me know.

mtull

Quote from: Snowdog on May 22, 2024, 12:35:41 PMIt's there, under the lower LH pic of the Cuda on the trailer.  Its not a pic, just scanned in PDF of the decoded fender tag, more like a link.  I can post a pic if needed.  Let me know.
Quote from: Snowdog on May 22, 2024, 12:35:41 PMjust scanned in PDF

Got it.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I have a flare for missing the obvious.   :thankyou:  :thankyou:

Snowdog

Here's pic of the Challenger's fender tag decode sheet.  Thanks for the links to those Challengers,  not to sound like one of those "I know what I got guys".  But those have a ton more rust and parts missing.  Their floor boards are in pretty sad shape on those cars.

Thanks, again!

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Snowdog on May 22, 2024, 12:55:00 PMHere's pic of the Challenger's fender tag decode sheet.  Thanks for the links to those Challengers,  not to sound like one of those "I know what I got guys".  But those have a ton more rust and parts missing.  Their floor boards are in pretty sad shape on those cars.

Thanks, again!

That is what I was thinking on the FB cars. They looked rough. It has been 2 years, but I sold a roller that was very complete, except for the trans and the engine. It was originally a 318 car and I included a BB 440 with a 3spd, k frame with 6 pack skid plate and disk brakes. An extra grill with a complete rally dash for $7500. First guy that showed up didn't even question the price and loaded it up and was gone in an hour. I was happy and the guy who bought it was too.

1970Cuda

Looks like great projects ... I know you mentioned this, but do you think you have the 'Cuda fender tag? Also, what do the frame rails look like and floor pan? Are you looking to sell it here? I am interested if you are posting it for sale. (PM me if available please.)

Snowdog

Frame rails are good.  Both cars are solid,  bodywork was completed on the entire base structure for both cars, before putting in storage, as mentioned before I would get new fenders for both.  Unfortunately,  I don't have any close pics of the typical E-Body rust areas, before putting in storage.  I'm sure there is some rust pitting in the trunk floor boards on both, but their still solid, remember these have been stored inside your typical self storage area for the last +30 year .  The Challenger engine has parts for the 440, however I would imagine the block and crank are rusted, even though I put grease and rust preventive on both.  I'm pretty sure the Cuda tag is somewhere, just don't know where.

Snowdog

On second thought,  I think you guys are right.  I need to at least get decent pics of the most typical rust areas, floor boards, trunk floor, firewall for you guys to know the cars condition, let alone sell them.  Also, a better idea on the parts I have.  Me just telling people they're solid, probably won't cut it with most people.  So many Cudas and Challengers on FBM and CL have their floor boards completely rusted out.  Unfortunately,  they're packed in a tight storage area, with junk around them and the tires are flat, so they're not rolling right now.  See pics and you'll know what I'm talking about.  So, let me get my act together and get some better pic.  In the mean time I'll put the items I don't need and have easy access too up for sale here,  mostly flat hoods, door and deck lids.  Sorry for any confusion I may caused. 

RUNCHARGER

These cars are not an everyday find anymore. Put some effort into cleaning them up a bit, get some good photos of them. Price? I'm betting upwards of $25k for the package and that might be low. But anything is just a wild guess at this point. I see absolutely junk 318 cars asking $10k and they have nothing going for them. If I was close I'd have bothered you and climbed all over that R/T already.
Sheldon

70_440-6Cuda

If it were me, I would keep all the parts together with the cars - I always like a find like this with lots of options.  Flat hoods are great shaker conversions so might help with selling the projects. :alan2cents:

I would be interested in what you mentioned in your last post - condition of the bodies and what all do you have?  It would be a bit of an undertaking, but I find the best way to get the most out of something like that is details details details....

But you have my interest because I need more projects I will never finish!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....