Main Menu

1972 340 bare block and caps

Started by erik70rt, December 13, 2018, 08:01:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

I have a chance to pick up a local bare 340 block and caps.  Looks clean and bored .030 but never assembled after bore.  It's a 2/72 dated block.  I am going to look at it on Saturday morning and I was wondering what the going rate is on bare 340 blocks?  He's asking $700.

Decent deal?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

70 Challenger Lover

Sounds fair to me if it's in good condition. I picked up a whole motor a couple years ago for $400 bucks and I remember thinking I'd never find another 340 at that price.

1 Wild R/T

Fresh from the machine shop $700 would be decent, but the block in the picture is gonna need to go back to the machine shop....

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  What did they previous machine shop find that made them 'stop' after starting the work?  I would be happy to pay $700 if the block had a good clean bill of health from a machine shop, but without that it could be a boat anchor.  All 340's are cool and worth money if they are good usable blocks, but the 1972's are near the bottom of the desirability list.   :alan2cents:

erik70rt

This is what he wrote in the ad:

I have for sale a 340 block with main caps.....I bought this block with main caps and was going to build a stroker motor with it but plans changed ....bought it as .030 over block and best I can tell with my bore gauge is that is what it is.....it was greased up heavily in the cylinder walls and bagged to prevent rusting in storage and it appears to have done its job......bores look good.....probably just a light honing and you will be ready to rock and roll.....block is dated 2-8-72 ......part number [hidden information].....VIN number on this motor is 2B431164 so if you have the car this is your original block from it......asking 700.00

1 Wild R/T

I see old cam bearings....  I see rust on the main bearing bore...  I see old paint that the hot tank should have removed....  First place I would take that block is a machine shop.....  I know 340's have a great reputation but honestly I wouldn't get hung up on needing a 340.. I'd much rather grab a 360 roller block & build a roller cam 408...   

anlauto

I'm confused...at the top you say 1970 340 ? but it's casted in 72 ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

erik70rt

Quote from: anlauto on December 13, 2018, 10:23:02 AM
I'm confused...at the top you say 1970 340 ? but it's casted in 72 ? :huh:

Lousy typos....... :drunk:

erik70rt

More Pics

Cudajason

Fresh from the machine shop my arse.  There are bits of head gaskets left on the block.  Did they not hot tank that block!!!

I would walk a way personally. 

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

autoxcuda

Quote from: Cudajason on December 13, 2018, 11:57:21 AM
Fresh from the machine shop my arse.  There are bits of head gaskets left on the block.  Did they not hot tank that block!!!

I would walk a way personally. 

Jason

Yep.

Look at the discoloring between the top ring ridge and deck....

That's a used block that currently 30 over.

Maybe it will bore clean to 40 over. But you would need to remove all grease to see if there are any deep pit that wouldn't clean at 40 over.

You'd have to expect ending up with a 60 over block and be happy to get 40 over.

It is not decked.

Probably $400 block +/-
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

erik70rt

Thanks, everyone.  I think I'll pass on this one.

JS29

If it were me, Before any money changes hands it would go to a machine shop and get cleaned and checked out. I don't buy the story that is being told!!! I agree on the $400.00 figure.   :alan2cents: