Main Menu

1974 Challenger RT

Started by EddieM, December 31, 2020, 05:29:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

EddieM

Assuming it's got some mud and not too much, many do. Before I go have a look I would like to get an idea of the real money it worth. I know you guys know. I like it for a starter car but i am cautious because of first time buyer. Like I said earlier in the post I am looking for a fun car with a good look but my first Challenger may have to have to be a little more accurate depending on the money. She sure has a good look. Thank you for the information posted here and If I do decide to take a stab at it based on what is stated here about the real money I will post the buy. If not I will keep looking. I have liked the Challenger since childhood. I think it's time to own one.

TA/Z06/GSXR1100

Probably one of the last E-bodies ever made. April -74 build date....

Looks to be pretty stock . The starter / seatbelt interlock system appears to be still intact. WoW!

As stated previously L-code cars are pretty rare . I've only seen one thus far , and that was in Jan of 1980. Can't say the same about the blond in the purple dress . Think Toyota Corolla  : )

Pretty car!

EV2RTSE

I have a '73 Challenger Rallye 340 that I got in 1989. I should say, my Dad got for me, for my first car. I wanted a 440, my Dad felt I should have a 318, so a 340 wasn't too far of a compromise  :no:

It too was advertised as an "R/T" in the ad when it was for sale. Way back then, before Al Gore invented the internet,  :) , I had no idea that they only made R/T's in 70 and 71. I even called a local speed shop  - Performance Centers of America - to ask what makes a car an R/T - they basically had no idea - said to look for R/T badges all over, etc. I ended up with it because it was a cool car, still is, but anyway -

Nowadays I really hate when people try to make these later year cars look like an R/T. Nothing against these cars, like I said, I still own one. They can stand on their own being what they are. IMO putting an R/T stripe on just looks dumb.

Had they left the front fender scoops and strobe stripes on, or even left the stripes off but kept just the scoops, this car would be  :banana:

I don't get it...

But if you can get this car in the mid 20's you probably still would do just fine. It does still have a good 'look'.

Peel those R/T stripes & emblems off, and pick up a set of 72-74 fender louvers and strobe stripes, you'll have something for sure.

challengermaniac

Welcome and great that you checked in with the team here.

Be sure to gather all of the check points already pointed out here along with confirming the motor and trans run out strong without smoke or hesitation.  Check everywhere for RUST as this is the one item that will really set you back if you make a mistake here.  Check the plastic T Shift handle as they often are cracked near the screw hole, plan to re-arch the leaf springs and replace those air shocks with new, non air shocks.  As noted, that dash pad is a mess......... use it alone to negotiate $700.00 off the list price.  Take it out on the freeway to make sure it handles and performs to your expectations.  The R/T stripes and Hood are likely a plastic stencil which you can remove if desired.  You could also ask here if there is a local Ebodies Team member whom could meet up with you to go over the car.  Best!

Ps; And that beautiful model deserves a hard look as well! 
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

EddieM

Thats good stuff. Thanks guys.

7212Mopar

Looks like an original AC car with AC removed. Non original steering wheel.
Just note upfront that the old cars don't drive like the new cars. Also better ownership experience if you love wrenching cars.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

EddieM

I don't mind working on cars. I have been doing it for years. I sold my 1967 427/390 NCRS. Nice car but can't use it like I wanted. My 1969 RSZ28 was a looker like this car but what a dog. My 350HP C2 ate it up. This car is a looker but to get it back in shape I am thinking it will take too much and I might be better looking for something a little more correct. Power does not mean too much to me anymore. If I want power I would buy new. Heck, my new Rebel might smoke the 1974 car. I don't know much about Challengers that why I am here. Honesty without assault. Typical Mopar guys. A true love for the brand. Thanks again to all that responded.

EV2RTSE

Quote from: 7212Mopar on January 02, 2021, 08:42:27 AM

Agree the steering wheel is 70-71, a correct 72-74 wheel is easy enough to find. I don't see any evidence of this car ever having a/c though?

jimynick

"As stated previously L-code cars are pretty rare . I've only seen one thus far , and that was in Jan of 1980." I don't know where you're located, but if you ever get to Ontario,  :canada: get in touch, because I've got a triple black, 4 speed  one, if you like that sort of thing.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

7212Mopar

Quote from: EV2RTSE on January 02, 2021, 05:03:57 PM
Quote from: 7212Mopar on January 02, 2021, 08:42:27 AM

Agree the steering wheel is 70-71, a correct 72-74 wheel is easy enough to find. I don't see any evidence of this car ever having a/c though?

Was looking at the double groove alternator pulley, 26" radiator. But you might be right as the firewall heater hoses are non AC location and no AC connections.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

EV2RTSE

Would be interesting to see the fender tag on this yellow car, it was built very late according to the door sticker, 4-74.

jyotkc

How much was it?  I never saw a price