Main Menu

340 Engine

Started by cashmoneyerick, December 01, 2018, 12:19:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cashmoneyerick

Hello All --

I have this 340 engine that I am pulling out my Cuda, I think I want to go with a modern engine, I'm 50/50 right now.
But I would like to know how much this engine is worth, I really have no clue.

I believe the blue vin code says: 0B198015

Does anyone know if this is from an original car?

Any help helps. Thank you!

Sleepychallenger

An original car, yes unless someone stamped it later. But original to yours dont know till we see your vin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

303 Mopar

340's are going for $2500ish, unless you match it to the original car. Then its whatever the owner wants to pay to have a numbers engine!   :banana:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 303 Mopar on December 01, 2018, 12:30:17 PM
340's are going for $2500ish, unless you match it to the original car. Then its whatever the owner wants to pay to have a numbers engine!   :banana:

Never seen one sell that high unless it was pretty fresh with machine shop receipts....

303 Mopar

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 01, 2018, 12:40:17 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on December 01, 2018, 12:30:17 PM

Never seen one sell that high unless it was pretty fresh with machine shop receipts....

You're right, would be helpful to know more about the engine.

cashmoneyerick

It's not an original engine for my car. My VIN is completely different.
The engine was running at first, but gave out on me. I haven't been able to figure out why.
Gas was mixing with the oil.

Does anyone recommend rebuilding the engine or purchasing something more modern?

What's range of horsepower am I looking at if I rebuild and throw some money at the engine ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleepychallenger

Well, swapping to modern will cost you $$$$. Rebuild wont be cheap but will be less

1 Wild R/T

Personally I'd sell the 340, pick up a 89-95 360 roller block & build a 408 stroker... 450 HP is easy & very streetable 650 is doable but probably not what most would call streetable...

Sleepychallenger

Should have specified which version of modern. Going modern hemi is expensive

cashmoneyerick

Well I was thinking one of those plug and play crate engines. Possibly the 6.2. I don't have hellcrate money, although that would be nice, but realistically i don't know if the car can handle that much power without investing thousands into other components. Plus I still need extensive body work done on my Cuda.
I'm really torn between what I would like to do.
I want to be able to drive the car once it's done regularly.

If anybody is searching for this engine tho, I don't mind letting it go for a fair price. Seems like they're not worth too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katfish

I have a similar dilemma,  my 340 runs great, but a Gen3 Hemi would be so much more driveable.
From what i'm researched, it a $10-$15k investment.

I guess it depends just how much you plan to drive the car.

On another note, when i found gas in the oil, it was the fuel pump.  Easy fix and you're back up and running.

Sleepychallenger

Dan, is that about what it ran?

Brads70

Unless you already have deep pockets and  a big budget I'd keep that 340 and run it until you have the money in hand to do a modern hemi swap. Looking at your profile picture I'd respectfully say you have a long way to go money wise in body /paint . It's not the big ticket items that "get ya" building these cars, it's all the "little" things near the end that really add up.  My  :alan2cents: .... get it running and driveable with what you have and plan on doing the drivetrain last. 

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Katfish on December 01, 2018, 02:36:51 PM
I have a similar dilemma,  my 340 runs great, but a Gen3 Hemi would be so much more driveable.

Please explain?  Put FI & an overdrive on your 340 or better yet a 408 & tell me what the GenIII gets you other that the wow factor? 

Katfish

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 01, 2018, 03:06:56 PM
Quote from: Katfish on December 01, 2018, 02:36:51 PM

Please explain?  Put FI & an overdrive on your 340 or better yet a 408 & tell me what the GenIII gets you other that the wow factor?

Funny you mention that, I have a 518 and Fitech.  The OD made a world of difference, the Fitech so-so.
I still only get 12mpg around town and 16 on the Hwy, not something I would drive everyday.

Maybe i'm asking too much, but I have a 06 Mustang GT, and would love my Challenger to drive somewhat similar.