Main Menu

70 Challenger Convert - IT'S HOME!

Started by 71383bee, November 06, 2020, 07:16:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

AWESOME !!! Did you get him off of the $37K asking price ?  It looks worth it to me in those pictures... :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71383bee

Quote from: anlauto on November 09, 2020, 02:01:33 PM
AWESOME !!! Did you get him off of the $37K asking price ?  It looks worth it to me in those pictures... :bigthumb:

Not a bunch but yes.  We had discussed ahead on a number and I said ok but if it's a rot box or has something large to fix that wasn't clear I'm going to bring it up. There wasn't...the car is actually more solid than what I thought.  The frame rails and torque boxes are all in great shape.   Drivetrain wise the only lagging item was the suspension is worn with some leakage noted from the gas tank.  All items I can handle.  I noticed some moisture in the trunk pan under the pad but the pan was actually in decent shape for being original.  Wiring is original. Dash is original with one defect in the left corner where the gauge pod is. Gauges all worked and lighting all worked as it should. 

Plans will likely focus on replacement of wiring, and some cleaning and detailing for now.  Long term not sure.  The cool updates were all done in my book so there isn't much id want.  Its got duals and flip top cap with rallye wheels.  All not original but nice updates. Ohh and a luggage rack! I'm toying with the idea of a rallye hood which may be my only departure.  I'm also partial to the road wheels.  For internals it would be cleaning up the bay for originality, the 4 bbl can stay but the motor would need to be painted and I would like a 340 air cleaner for it.  It will stay corporate blue.  My wife is a little scarred of the non power drums but they seemed to grab just fine on the drive.  Just needs some awareness.  I do have a 70 340...but I think that's best for a rainy day.  I have no desire to change out the rear end...it was such a nice cruiser I'd hate to screw with it. 

I noticed that the black belt molding was covered by a thicker white insert that was adhesive taped over it.  It actually was a pretty clean install and it added an extra layer of protection from door dings which I am assuming was its intent.  Kind of a neat trick as I pointed out it was V5X on the FT but it was white. 

It's super cool!  My first step into mopar's was driving my neighbor's 70 challenger convert.  It was 340 powered and dressed as an R/T.  B5 with a B5 interior and a white top.  I had just turned 16 and he tossed me the keys and said let's go for a ride.  :burnout:  It changed my life!  I always wanted that car back but this will do! 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

soundcontrol

Congrats! Very nice, love the color and I really like the flat hoods on a convertible, makes it look long and sleek.

70 Challenger Lover

These non performance e body ragtops are a real joy to drive. Not sure what the suspension is like on yours but mine was bone stock and I'm happy it is. I always read the guys commenting that these cars are horribly light on the suspension and recommend large torsion bar upgrades. Mine has the smaller original ones and it is so nice and plushy going down the road. I added decent shocks and now it rides very gently on the highway. When I pull into driveways, it glides into them. I know the larger bars will add cornering performance but for my cruiser, I really enjoy the soft suspension.

On the exhaust, mine is the single pipe with a quiet muffler. I thought I wouldn't like it but it is so freaking quiet on the highway. I can have the top down and talk normally at 60 mph without having to raise my voice. I expected wind noise to drown things out but it really doesn't. I lose a lot of performance I'm sure but that's okay in this car.

Enjoy the new ragtop! You'll regret it if you ever let it go. These cars look amazing with the top down and it's really quite amazing how much positive attention they get.

70vert

Awesome! Congrats, you (and your wife) will enjoy it (:

C_B5

Great that you were able to make the deal, nice looking Challenger convertible. The FK5 is a cool color combo.

The early build challenger convertibles (Aug & Sept 1969), are always confusing as to how the cars were optioned. Some of the options that were / were not included on the sales bank JH models is all over the place.
Believe it was based on Dodge trying to get as many of the new 70 Challengers out on dealer showrooms early to showcase.

This car is a fairly early build date 823 (Aug 23rd) and did anyone notice that on the fender tag its coded as a Y05 "sales bank car", but on the buildsheet its listed as Y13 "dealer demo"  ?

Would it be expected that both codes listed on the fender tag? Or something changed during the scheduled build ?

RUNCHARGER

Sounds like a great score. I would do exactly what you are planning. It will be a great cruiser and no need to street race with it.
Sheldon

71383bee

Quote from: C_B5 on November 10, 2020, 07:38:16 AM
Great that you were able to make the deal, nice looking Challenger convertible. The FK5 is a cool color combo.

The early build challenger convertibles (Aug & Sept 1969), are always confusing as to how the cars were optioned. Some of the options that were / were not included on the sales bank JH models is all over the place.
Believe it was based on Dodge trying to get as many of the new 70 Challengers out on dealer showrooms early to showcase.

This car is a fairly early build date 823 (Aug 23rd) and did anyone notice that on the fender tag its coded as a Y05 "sales bank car", but on the buildsheet its listed as Y13 "dealer demo"  ?

Would it be expected that both codes listed on the fender tag? Or something changed during the scheduled build ?

Great catch on the sales code.  I also noticed that.  I have the full original buildsheet AND a bonus buildsheet for a /6 challenger convert that also was built on the same day!  I don't have it in hand but its in the binder with the car.  The current owner said that the third owner found both sheets when he redid the seats.  When I get them I will scan in both and post in the buildsheet thread.  Very cool info.  I am assuming your theory is correct in that there were batches of cars run together to stuff the dealership floors.  It being built on 8/23/69 is super cool! 

The interior item adds a new question.  In the binder I have old pictures of the car that shows that the seats used to have a cloth plaid insert.  It wasn't "houndstooth".  It was a much larger square plaid pattern.  I'm not as familiar with 70 options so I wasn't sure if it was a factory or custom thing. 

C_B5

Quote from: 71383bee on November 10, 2020, 08:40:24 AM
Quote from: C_B5 on November 10, 2020, 07:38:16 AM

Great catch on the sales code.  I also noticed that.  I have the full original buildsheet AND a bonus buildsheet for a /6 challenger convert that also was built on the same day!  I don't have it in hand but its in the binder with the car.  The current owner said that the third owner found both sheets when he redid the seats.  When I get them I will scan in both and post in the buildsheet thread.  Very cool info.  I am assuming your theory is correct in that there were batches of cars run together to stuff the dealership floors.  It being built on 8/23/69 is super cool! 

The interior item adds a new question.  In the binder I have old pictures of the car that shows that the seats used to have a cloth plaid insert.  It wasn't "houndstooth".  It was a much larger square plaid pattern.  I'm not as familiar with 70 options so I wasn't sure if it was a factory or custom thing.

The factory cloth pattern for 1970 challenger wouldn't be plaid. Its referred to as "salt & pepper" which is a small checked pattern. Even though there was an orange / black version of this cloth pattern it would not have been an option on a JH challenger model.
Plus both the fender tag and buildsheet shows code H6K4 = bucket seats, vinyl burnt orange material.
Therefore the seats in the car now would be correct.

anlauto

Maybe it was just wearing JC Penny seat covers back in the day  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

Y05 = build to US spec. (one of 3 choices & coded on a fender tag)

additional "Y" codes that are not on a fender tag for a 1970 Hamtramck E-body:
Y13 = dealer demo
Y14 = "SOLD" car
Y16 = sales bank

& congrats!!  8)

6bblgt

& based on the broadcast sheet JH27G0B107278 (823-SPD) was "In Plant/In Process" on Friday August 29, 1969 running almost a week "LATE" but still completed in August

@71383bee   any indication in the paperwork as to where this car was sold new?

71383bee

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 10, 2020, 01:12:53 PM
& based on the broadcast sheet JH27G0B107278 (823-SPD) was "In Plant/In Process" on Friday August 29, 1969 running almost a week "LATE" but still completed in August

@71383bee   any indication in the paperwork as to where this car was sold new?

Great information!  I don't recall any dealership type info.  The binder is with the car and I wont have access to it till after thanksgiving.  Ill be sure to update with what I can find. 

JH27N0B

I am just catching up on forums and emails after being laid up for a week, and am excited to hear you bought the car!  My car was the best money I ever spent in my life and I hope you will feel that way too with yours!  :twothumbsup:
Sad it's coming up on winter and springs a long way off, but that will give you time to clean up and fix a few things so you can hit the road running in 2021!  Can't wait to see it then.

blown motor

Congratulation on your purchase! That's a very cool car.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel