Main Menu

70 Challenger R/T 383 auto matching numbers project

Started by socalef9, October 30, 2018, 08:25:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

socalef9

Greetings. New member here looking to dive into the wonder world of Mopar. I'm looking to get into a project that i can build and hopefully have the car be worth about what i have into it at the end of it. I know its asking a lot, but i just dont want to be too far under water.

I recently came across someone who has a 70 Challenger R/T with a numbers matching engine and trans.
The seller has started the project and the car is completely disassembled. It looks like panels have been replaced, and he says the car is about to have the engine bay and jams painted. No rust on the car.

Seller said the engine is being rebuilt, and the trans is going to the shop next week.

Seller also claims to have all the parts to reassemble, but the interior will have to be restored. 

Seller is asking 20k firm.   Here is a breakdown of the trim tag that he sent me:
N95 R11 V1W VSX
2nd line J25 J45 M21 N41 N42 N85
3rd line V1W A04 A62 C16 C55 G33 
4th line EV2 HRT5 000925
line 5 E63 D32 JS23 NOE

Does this seem like something i could restore and have it be worth it at this asking price? I can do all of the assembly myself, i would just have to pay for someone to paint and recover the seats.

RUNCHARGER

$20k is probably okay if that includes all parts needed, rebuilt engine and trans. There will be extras you will need (way more than you think). It also depends on if the metal replacement was done correctly and if everything that needed it was replaced. It's a good colour and the matching #'s engine and trans. make it worthwhile. IMO, because it is matching #'s it deserves to be restored correctly as it came from the factory.
Sheldon

socalef9

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on October 30, 2018, 09:04:47 PM
$20k is probably okay if that includes all parts needed, rebuilt engine and trans. There will be extras you will need (way more than you think). It also depends on if the metal replacement was done correctly and if everything that needed it was replaced. It's a good colour and the matching #'s engine and trans. make it worthwhile. IMO, because it is matching #'s it deserves to be restored correctly as it came from the factory.

I was planning on going with the original colors and interior, but i highly doubt i would have the funds to do a concourse level restoration.

Cuda Cody

Welcome @socalef9   :welcome:  Looks like a pretty solid project.  If you can post more photos we might be able to help you a nit more on value.  It's going to be hard to restore that car and not end up upside down.  If you want to end up okay on a project it's best to start with multi carb cars (Hemi's, V-Codes and TA / AAR's).  I've done a pretty solid 383 RT Challenger and even doing all the work myself I was way upside down.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama  :wave: :wave:
Good news is 70 is the most desirable & it has good colors , bad news is it is only an N code & Auto & these cars are expensive to build even when doing all the work yourself .
Good luck with your decision  :bigthumb:

nsmall

I'm in no way trying to tear you down but after just finishing a restoration it seems pretty easy to be 15-30k upside down unless you're starting with a car that Cuda Cody talked about. 

Again I'm not trying to be negative but when people say "I have all the parts" it's often not the real story.

Now if you enjoy doing the work which I think most of us do and don't mind being upside down, go for it.  Life isn't all about money.  I found restoring  a car to be very therapeutic.

Just price out a full interior for example to get an idea of how much it costs as e-bodies are ridiculously expensive to restore.  Just the bolts and nuts and fasteners for the interiors expensive.

not sure what your budget is but maybe there's a better project that's further along?

js27

Rule of Thumb figure out how much you THINK it will cost to restore it and then Double it !!  --LOL
Sound like it will be a very nice car when done and a rare color combo. The HRT5 interior is going to be expensive. If your buying to restore and flip your already over your head. If you love the car and want to keep it forever then go for it. Just the buckets seat cover are going to run you over a grand because of the leather inserts maybe more because that was the price I got from Legendary back in the late 90's. Here is an Idea what the EV2 HRT5 color combo will look like when done.
JS27

RUNCHARGER

I agree you'll be upside down however I don't think you'll find a solid base with matching #'s and rebuilt engine cheaper. Usually these cars go up in value so if you are careful and do most of the work yourself and all the parts are there you will be closer to being square at the end. The other thing is I see 383 cars sell for $35k-$40k and they have problems under the shiny paint. So in reality they aren't really $35k cars.
Sheldon

autoxcuda

1) Did you look at the Mopars for sale at Fall Fling on Saturday?

2) Would this be your first Mopar?

3) Have you restored a car to this extent before?

Looks like repro exterior 1/4 panels have been put on it? It looks like he's just put some panels on it and laid primer on the car to make it look better to sell.

That car still need $15K-$20K in paint and body if you can find someone in So Cal to paint it. A restored tan dash pad alone is $1100-1200. $750-1K for gauge and gauge panel restoration. All new kick, door, and 1/4 panels, then dyed tan. OE tan panels always turn to chalk.

Anlauto (Alan), what's an E-body interior in parts alone? No labor: $6K, $8K, $10K...

Any project you buy that's blown apart and says "have all parts" is always missing parts. Good buyers estimate is 20% missing if it "looks like" all there. And you better be familiar enough with 1970 Challengers to identify 90% of the parts if they were in front of you. Otherwise you wouldn't any know if the parts were there or not. Did he say he has new, or refurbished parts to put back on it? IE, redone chrome, repolished stainless, new trunk, fender, headlight trim? Engine harness, weather seals, rubber kits, etc, etc?

How big a shop do you have to restore this and store the parts?

This car looks like it was bought to flip and the seller is slowly doing things this to "help sell it." Guys like this typically cut corners and use cheapest parts.

This car will nickel and dime you to death for a 1st time project. $20K is too high an entry point for you. Now for someone that has extra ebody parts, has connections to used and new parts...the value may be different.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

autoxcuda

This is what it looked like before. "weselloldcars" on instagram.

It was bought at a Spring Fling (same place as Fall Fling but 2 days in April) Probably put a bunch of time into it and research what those sellers where asking for it then.  Anyone remember it???

Had 1/4's and a roof put on. The alignment and install quality will be up to the buyer body shop to determine.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: Good shot. You really have to inspect it carefully then. I could see a flipper repairing that quarter panel rather than replacing it, also if those doors weren't cleaned properly you could have rust coming out later. If the seller is ditching it that quick he didn't put the love into it he would if he was doing the car to keep it forever.
Sheldon

socalef9

Quote from: autoxcuda on October 31, 2018, 10:19:16 AM
1) Did you look at the Mopars for sale at Fall Fling on Saturday?

2) Would this be your first Mopar?

3) Have you restored a car to this extent before?

I did not make it to fall fling due to work, but even still, Mopar's seem to be quite a bit more expensive in socal as opposed to other parts of the country.

This would indeed be my first venture into Mopar

I have not restored a car from this level of disassembly. I do not doubt my abilities to do it. I bought my Cougar pretty much complete, but in the process of fixing it, it was pretty much torn apart and put back together in one way or another.

Im currently looking at this 71 challenger: https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/1971-challenger-440-auto-non-numbers-matching.16879/

Looks like a bit more complete, although its not an r/t, nor a big block car. For the money, it looks better than most cars on the west coast.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GY3R/T

Glad you posted a pic of the car in earlier form. It looks like it was parked in an open daylight basement
    next to Pacific ocean. Keep lookin....

socalef9