Main Menu

71 383 value?

Started by Mac84, March 01, 2020, 08:36:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mac84

I am new to the E body world and am looking at buying a 71 Challenger hardtop 383 3 speed car. It runs and drives but needs some sheet metal work. Overall a solid car. I have no idea the value on these cars and was hoping for some help as to what it might be worth. Any input would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Chryco Psycho

HI & Welcome to the site from Panama  :wave:
I am not even going to try top guess based on 1 picture but a complete running & driving car is always a good start especially if it is solid   :twothumbsup:

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @Mac84   :welcome:

Do you have any other photos of the car?  That would help us know what the price might be.

Mac84

Thanks! I completely understand.  I have a bunch more pics, just don't know how to post them all at the same time! I am not expecting an end all number, just a ballpark range to give me an idea of what seems fair. Is this a $5000-$10000 car or is that too low to expect?

6bblgt

is it a JH23N1B or JS23N1B car?  fender tag?

below where you entered the first pic - there's (more attachments) to add additional pics

Mac84

VIN is JH23N1B381866

6bblgt

I see $10K+ easily

is the 3-speed manual transmission original to the car? or are "WE" talking 3-speed automatic (I see kick-down linkage)?  NO fender tag or broadcast sheet?

:o GG's "white book" shows:
1 Challenger JH23 hardtop (roll-down rear 1/4 windows) 383 4bbl 3-speed manual built to US spec.
2 Challenger JH23 coupe (A93 fixed rear 1/4 windows) 383 4bbl 3-speed manual built to US spec.

Mac84

I haven't seen a fender tag or broadcast sheet yet,  but the owner said it was a 727 3 speed auto.

anlauto

I thought he meant 3 speed standard as well  :o ...a real 1 of 1  :unbelievable:

I would say $10K-$15K if it's not a rot box underneath  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

$10k and up depending on rust. Does it have a rallye dash? 4 same size gauge pods including a tachometer? 71's are really cool.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

The fender tag and build sheet make a big difference on determining value.
I agree with 15k if it runs and drives and the sheet metal replacement is minimal.

but fender tag or build sheet makes a difference.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

71383bee

Quote from: cuda hunter on March 02, 2020, 09:47:48 AM
The fender tag and build sheet make a big difference on determining value.
I agree with 15k if it runs and drives and the sheet metal replacement is minimal.

but fender tag or build sheet makes a difference.

Agreed.

An "N" Code challenger is a great start.  Even if its not an R/T.   Looks like its an original EW1 car too. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

6bblgt

EW1 wasn't available for '71 on an E-body - GW3 was the "NEW" for '71 "bright white" - ended up being a '71 ONLY color

71383bee

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 02, 2020, 12:20:00 PM
EW1 wasn't available for '71 on an E-body - GW3 was the "NEW" for '71 "bright white" - ended up being a '71 ONLY color

Good Point!  my bad!  I sometimes forget the year change. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Mac84

Sorry for such a delayed update to the thread, but I finally was able to get more pictures of the car.  I haven't gotten a fender tag or underbody/frame picture. I did get a lot of others and will post them. He wants $8000 firm.